Online RPG Games and User to User Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybridinfusion

I am in the US.

Right now I have been playing an online game at Gladiatus and I have experienced harassing players in game. There is moderators who normally check for this, but they say that if they aren't breaking the general rules set forth by Game Forge (the owner of this game site), then they can't do anything about any kind of harassment I receive in game or on the forum.

I had a guy attacking me in the game (which was fine), but he got banned for making comments about burning my bra for liberation and how I could iron his shirt for him (just sexist deragatory things). He was banned. He then came back hitting my other female guild member and got banned for breaking the rules of hitting too much. When he came back from his banning from things, he hit me in game then sent me a message saying "hi honey I'm home" like some kind of sick abusive bf/stalker. This was reported but they kept saying we can't do anything because he didn't break any of the GF rules about hitting and what not (because GF doesn't account at all for harassment in game and try to say they are not responsible for what others say or do). He then kept hitting me now for going on 3-5 months straight and harassing me non-stop.

Then, when I went into the forum, we of course can declare war, and the threads become heated, but this one guy started writing me in game these sappy messages that he knew he was mocking me and then saying I love you, why don't you love me?! I told him to stop sending me messages after the first message and reported him to the moderator, but the moderator said they couldn't do anything because his "superiors" felt like it wasn't harassing me, so then when that was not enough he then proceeded to write this story in the public forum:

I first met Phoenix when I saw some of her heroic posts in the forum. She was writing something inspiring about honor or respect or something. I still recall how wonderful she looked riding that shining white unicorn. I was thinking how strong that beast must have been to carry her tremendous girth with such ease, but that's one of the advantages of living in a fantasy world, I guess.

@-->-->-------------

Anyway, we started talking a little bit, and it wasn't long before she started talking about marriage. A cyber wedding? But no, she couldn't be talking about that! I mean, only the hugest online gamer nerds would propose such a pathetic exercise. It couldn't be. So I avoided the subject.

This only sparked Phoenix into greater desires. She began sending me the most outrageous erotic messages, which I shared with my guildmates and kept them all in stitches. I had no idea she was so intimate with that magical white unicorn!

Anyway, I could postpone her bottomless desires no longer. The date was set for our cyber-wedding. She had spent hours preparing herself, thinking up some really romantic vows we would exchange, and lighting candles all around the computer in her parent's basement. She even painted little hearts on her keyboard and practiced typing emoticon roses.

@-->-->-------------

When the moment arrived, I didn't show up. I didn't do it on purpose. I knew that she had been looking forward to a night of hot cyber, and far be it from me to deny her the single most important aspect of her social life-- this game! But anyway-- I missed it.

And you know what they say about Hell and fury, and scorned women.

Yeah.

So now here I am. I have a jilted lover with an axe to grind, and now my whole guild has to pay the price.

So okay, my sweet chubby-cheeks (she always loves when I call her that)-- I'll do it. I'll take one for the team.

I'll marry you!

But no cyber-sex. Sorry-- I'm willing to do pathetic for you, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Contact me when you're ready... I'll even bring a box of Twinkies for ya. Or chocolate. How about both? That's my big girl! Saddle up your magic unicorn and meet me at the wedding chapel. I'll show up this time--

Really.

@-->-->-------------

I never asked for cyber-sex and he tried to defame me in front of everyone and with his disgusting and sexually harassing comments about cybering amongst other things. When I asked for the post to be removed and that he be punished, the board admin group said this:

Message from Requiem, on 08-01-2008 20:23
RE: Sexual Harassment

I discussed it with the Board team.

They felt it was an attempt of bad taste humour and that he did not intend to cause the impression of sexual harrasment.

They felt no action should be taken.

This is not the first time they have left things to females just slide by. Another Game Operator was getting harassed by another Game Operator in game since we can play on diff servers and the admin would talk a lot of talk but just let things drop by the waste side, telling us it's never anything "deragatory" because they don't want to get involved in something legal.

The guy who bashed me the first time, he was suppose to be permanently banned after creating a double account to claim a war upon us (breaking the rules since you can't have multi accounts) and the Team Leader said he had enough evidence in an e-mail he sent to me, then mysteriously 2 weeks later he claimed he suddenly believed he "didn't have enough evidence" and let the guy back in the game, and immediately this guy started to attack me the day he was allowed back in.

He then kept hitting me and was banned yet again for bashing me with too many hits in a day, and the Team Leader had promised me via another e-mail that the next time would be this guys last time and he would be thrown out for harassing me like this, and when I reported it, the Team Leader backed out yet again saying well... he isn't breaking any of the game rules, so, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to permaban him. So full knowing that I had been harassed all this time and yet he promised twice to take care of it and then turned around and did something of the opposite, all because there are no harassing rules, I suffered dealing with this.

I strongly feel because this is a man's game and the admin staff are all male, they see nothing wrong with the way the men speak to women in this game. To be told that they saw nothing wrong with this last guys post which is clear defamation of character online, just disgusts me.

Is there anything I can do against this when this thread was clearly disgusting and they saw nothing wrong an therefor just let it "continue?"

Thank you.

To "do something" practically is difficult. You may want to send them a note about your opinion and perhaps state your desire to share it with some large media companies and see whether they would agree with your interpretation of the events. There are also several large popular women's site that would be more sensitive to discussing these issues and see whether they would like to feature an article on this interesting subject that is probably affecting the greater number of female players today than existed years ago. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back