Old Fence Line or survey

J

Jeanie777

Jurisdiction
Idaho
I have lived at my place for 25 years with National Forest land to the North, State land to the West and logging on South and East sides. A person purchased the land on the East side, where I have fenced pasture. His survey man told another neighbor who lives 1/2 mile away, to infor me that I need to tear down my fence so he can survey. Plus the new neighbor (who is out of town) as the same person to put in a medal corner post. They say the lines are off by 75 to 80 ft. this would take up that whole pasture up the the back of my barn. And neither the surveier or new land owner will talk to me about this. I think they have no rights for the fence has been their for so long plus the previous land owner and I walked and agreed on the line 20 yrs. ago. Should I let them in to survay or are they just pushing for me to move my fence so that I have no rights any more.

His survey man told another neighbor who lives 1/2 mile away, to infor me that I need to tear down my fence so he can survey.

I can't imagine why you would have to tear down your fence for a survey. You are free to say no and stick to that decision.

And neither the surveier or new land owner will talk to me about this.

Then don't talk to them either. Tell them to pound sand, that you aren't taking down the fence and you'll sue anybody who does. They can figure out a way to take a survey without taking down the fence and if the survey goes against you then you can decide what you want to do next. Until somebody can PROVE something with EVIDENCE, it's all just a pissing contest.

the fence has been their for so long plus the previous land owner and I walked and agreed on the line 20 yrs. ago.

Sorry, but that agreement is meaningless. A conversation like that doesn't change the legal description of the property nor does it change the position of the property lines.

Should I let them in to survay

There's no law that says you have to let them on to your property. That's your choice.

or are they just pushing for me to move my fence so that I have no rights any more.

How far you can be pushed is also up to you.

I have lived at my place for 25 years with National Forest land to the North, State land to the West and logging on South and East sides. A person purchased the land on the East side, where I have fenced pasture. His survey man told another neighbor who lives 1/2 mile away, to infor me that I need to tear down my fence so he can survey. Plus the new neighbor (who is out of town) as the same person to put in a medal corner post. They say the lines are off by 75 to 80 ft. this would take up that whole pasture up the the back of my barn. And neither the surveier or new land owner will talk to me about this. I think they have no rights for the fence has been their for so long plus the previous land owner and I walked and agreed on the line 20 yrs. ago. Should I let them in to survay or are they just pushing for me to move my fence so that I have no rights any more.

I suggest you commission your own survey.
No need to cause a commotion if things aren't as you believe them to be.
Once you KNOW what your boundaries are, you can then take the proper legal action.

Back