Oil change negligence

Karon A

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I had my oil changed the day before I left to go out of town. Approximately after 2 hours of traveling, my car started smoking. It was determined that the oil cap was not screwed on properly. I had to wait 4.5 hours to have it fixed after being towed to the dealership. The oil company admitted negligence and offered to return money for oil change, towing and to have it fixed. I arrived at my destination 8 minutes before midnight and still had to pay a full day hotel. I asked the oil company to pay that and they said no. Are they responsible for any of the hotel, mental and physical abuse?

What mental and physical abuse did you suffer? Maybe there was some inconvenience but I doubt you suffered.

Approximately after 2 hours of traveling, my car started smoking. It was determined that the oil cap was not screwed on properly.

Perhaps if you had any rudimentary knowledge of how your car operates you may have just tightened the oil cap and been on your way or asked the tow driver to look under the hood. You're probably a good candidate for an EV.

Take the money the oil change company is offering and put the experience behind you. There is no windfall in this situation.

mental and physical abuse

Oh please stop.

I arrived at my destination 8 minutes before midnight and still had to pay a full day hotel. I asked the oil company to pay that and they said no. Are they responsible for any of the hotel

I don't understand why you think the mechanic who changed the oil would be liable for any portion of a hotel bill when you actually stayed the night at the hotel. You still pay the same price whether you arrive at 4pm or midnight.

Perhaps if you had any rudimentary knowledge of how your car operates you may have just tightened the oil cap and been on your way or asked the tow driver to look under the hood. You're probably a good candidate for an EV.
The oil likely escaped from the engine, causing engine damage.

Back