Not sure how this is going to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentsister

Hi. My mother and Father were married for 30 years when my mother passed away from cancer. A couple of years later, my dad remarried. He has been married to his now wife, for 15 almost 16 years. Early on in their marriage, New wife wanted dad to put everything in her name AND/OR their name together so if something were to happen to my dad, then she would get everything. or so that was the thinking. I didn't know before, but I learned through this little experience, that the house that my parents had together--which was paid for--was in my mother and fathers name together. New wife went to lawyers office in Georgia to see what it would take to get the house put in my dads name ONLY. so, then he could leave it to her, as his wife, with no red tape, cutting me and my sister out of it. Lawyer said paperwork would have to drawn up for me and sister to sign, giving dad sole ownership in the house. we did not sign. Since then, I have offered to sign if they wanted to have the paperwork drawn up again. They haven't responded. So that makes me wonder if they were able to get around this somehow? On the other hand, if there was a way around it, why didn't the lawyer go that route instead of trying to get me and sister to sign? they could have done it differently and me and sister would have never known about us getting our mothers share, because until this, we didn't know. Also, it would seem like our father would have automatically gotten her part when she passed? maybe father gave new wife, his share and me and my sister still have our mothers share. meaning she now has 1/2 and me and sister have 1/3. which, in my thinking, she would hold the majority and could pass her share down to her kids and keep it tired up to where me and my sister would never get anything out of it.
Just so you know, me and sister aren't greedy. This house is maybe worth $30,000 at tops. Its just a simple small house, no real value except that we both were raised there and was concerned about new wife taking dad to cleaners and getting everything he and our mother worked hard for. Dad is now on death bed and only has few months to live, maybe only weeks.
I'm just curious if they were able to get around my mothers name on the deed without me and my sister signing. I am the oldest and don't want any surprise attacks by new wife when he passes. thanks for any and all advice regarding this.
also, new wife will not be out in the cold. early on in the marriage, she bought the house next door to my dads house. They live in Georgia, I live out of state. sister still lives there. Thank you so much! silentsister

:dunno: -- Listen, did Dad maybe have a Will? There are many things you need to find out -- hire a lawyer -- he can find out for you!

Well, thanks Eagle20 for responding. I don't know if Dad has a will or not. He was so bent on making sure his new wife was taken care of if something were to happen to him, I would assume yes. We used to be close but we haven't been since he remarried. new wife wasn't happy about me not signing the paper, even though at the time, I called myself looking out for my dads best interest. so she doesn't like me soo much and has came between me and my dad and me and sister. And they have not told me anything about his wishes or how things will go once he passes away. I'm the oldest. Do I have any rights as the oldest? (probably not?) I feel like he would go over things with me---most likely, he has told my sister and we don't talk much either. I talk to my dad but I don't want to say, hey dad do you have a will. I mean.???? I don't want to seem like I'm being greedy. When children ask this, even if its with the best intentions, they always get labled as being the 'greedy' one. (Step mom will have a field trip with that one---so will sister) and upset them by asking. Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. if he has everything going to his wife, then theres nothing for any of us to worry about anyways.
Thanks much! ~Silence

Last edited:
Hiring a lawyer would really help -- even if you end up with nothing, you can still find out stuff that you should know -- whether he had a will, whose name is on the deed to the house, etc. Plus, if he did in fact leave you something, you should have it -- it would be insulting not to accept a gift from someone you cared about -- you see, it's rightfully yours. Is there anyone who deserves it more? If yes, then they should have it.

He passed away. and He definitely has a will and his name and my mothers name is on the deed. The day before the funeral, 'she' (my dads new wife) told me that there wasn't anything me or my sister could do to put her out of the house. That we may get some of it but we weren't getting it all. then she brought up that he has a will. So its going down like I thought it would. He left her his share. now what? now sure when the will, will be read. usually how often after someone passes, does it take to read the will? thanks, silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back