No phone call permitted after arrest.

Androsh

Jurisdiction
New York
I was arrested on June 21 of 2014, in New Rochelle, a sat evening at 6pm on a domestic issue... I asked to make a phone call. Was denied.
Spent sat night, all day Sunday and on Monday I asked to call my job and call in sick.. they told me no... I pleaded with them and finally a female officer agreed to Make the call for me.....upon my release I received a formal letter from my employer that I was terminated... I have not been able to find any similar type work, and was forced to go on early social security..why was I not permitted to call my employer...

You will have to ask the person who denied you the opportunity to call. We can only speculate.

For what it is worth, the one phone call "rule" is a Hollywood plot device. Whether or not you are entitled to any calls (aside from contacting a lawyer) varies widely by offense and location.

Last edited:
I was arrested on June 21 of 2014, in New Rochelle, a sat evening at 6pm on a domestic issue... I asked to make a phone call. Was denied.
Spent sat night, all day Sunday and on Monday I asked to call my job and call in sick.. they told me no... I pleaded with them and finally a female officer agreed to Make the call for me.....upon my release I received a formal letter from my employer that I was terminated... I have not been able to find any similar type work, and was forced to go on early social security..why was I not permitted to call my employer...

When you retain your criminal defense attorney, or if you receive a public defender, I suggest you discuss your concerns with her or him.

Until then, you serve yourself by staying silent about all of this.

It can't hurt to document your recollection of events in chronological order when the time comes for you to discuss your legal issues with your attorney.

Finally, it never serves you well as a criminal defendant to say anything about your case, except, "I'm pleading NOT guilty and have been advised to not discuss my case with anyone."

It might not have been a good idea anyway to call in & lie that you were sick. If your employer found out you were arrested (& yes it happens), you most likely would have been terminated. Employers do not like employees who lie.

Back