New attorney without any notice of substitution filed?

Dazed&Bemused

Jurisdiction
California
There is an "active" civil case in Superior Court, which arose due to submitting a challenge to an arbitration. The arbitration concluded a couple years ago and the party has finally submitted a petition to confirm the award.

The petition was submitted as a "new" action, with the same case number as the open case, but it was filed by a different attorney. No substitution of attorney form was ever filed or served, although I thought that it would be required in a situation such as this. The new attorney is NOT a different attorney at the same firm, which, likely, would not require it.

I checked the court portal and there is a new (duplicate) case, with the same case number, but showing the roles of the parties reversed. Both "cases" show the full procedural history and have a new entry reflecting the filing of the petition. However, the attorney of record listed is the original attorney, not the one who filed the petition. I assume this is a related to the failure to substitute attorneys properly.

This causes me some confusion, because I believe it to be procedurally improper (not in conformance with the Rules of Court), and therefore, may be subject to dismissal by a preliminary motion, or at the time of the hearing (which hasn't yet been set, due to a backlog in the law and motion calendar) .

What is the "legal" effect of this scenario, as it relates to the validity of the submission, and, more importantly, to my obligations and/or options (i.e., to file a preliminary motion, such as a demurrer or a motion to quash and/or dismiss for insufficiency of process (not service of process)?)

Am I REQUIRED to respond to it according to the prescribed timeframe, as if it were procedurally proper, or is it a legal nullity?

To preempt the inevitability that it be suggested that I hire an attorney, I'll state, up front, that I cannot afford one, so it is not an option at this time,

Also, I expect that it will be proposed that it is irrelevant, as to any real impact upon the, ultimate, resolution of the case, and that any action taken, short of rendering a response, at this time, will only delay the inevitable. While I understand that is very likely the case, I'll also suggest that that is not an answer worthy of an attorney, and I would appreciate a more definite answer, rooted in law (based upon an actual rule, procedure or statute).

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Am I REQUIRED to respond to it according to the prescribed timeframe, as if it were procedurally proper, or is it a legal nullity?

You can best protect yourself by asking ALL of your questions related to the lawsuit in question of your attorney(s).

Anonymous internet denizens could end up costing you "lotsa moola" should you follow their advice or information.

Substitution issue is between the attorneys, the court, and the client they represent. The other party doesn't have a bone in that process.

Then allow the petition to move forward unopposed, and don't make an issue of the new attorney.

The judge is likely to notice the change in attorneys anyway and bar the new attorney from filing anything with the court or appearing in court until the attorney of record is removed and the new attorney is recognized as the attorney of record.

Substitution issue is between the attorneys, the court, and the client they represent. The other party doesn't have a bone in that process.

OK. I thought it might be relevant, since the Answer would need to be served upon the appropriate party, and it is not clear who that is, at the moment.

Back