neighbor harrassment, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nina009

My question is very simple. I live in an apartment complex where my family is continually being verbally harrassed by 5 or 6 neighbors ( and their families/friends) including the manager. The manager is friends with these people and he freely lets them, even favors them, to mock, harrass, and poke fun at us. My parents have a lot of problems on their plate, as well as my sister, so they don't put alot of attention into it. The only person who does is me, because I can hear them and they really make themselves known. The harrassment I am taking about is verbal-- mocking my family's every move or arguments,name calling, poking fun at our situation( we have alot of financial problems), and every mean thing you can think of ( very very childish). They also spread rumors about my dad , and sadly when something goes wron gin the apt, he gets blamed for everything. My dad doesn't fight back because he chooses not to listen to them.. he is very passive because he's got alot of problems and unfortunately they are not his priority. My mom and sister are the same way. Anyway, these "adults" let their kids mock us on a daily basis in their very own childish way. So we are getting it from the aprents and their children ( and as many know, children can be very loud) They kind of like integrated their playtime with mocking/harrasing my family , especially my nephew in mind. They would copy his behaviour and speech, and how my sister takes care of him.

Today, they made a little nest outside by the stairwell on the first floor ( I live on the 2nd floor). It is an "open" apt, so the halllways are exposed and not covered. Because of this, I can hear everything that goes on the hallways if it's quiet enough in the apt. They put a table and chairs so I thought at first it was a party, but the party was about us. The adults ranging form late 20's to early 70's sat down and began poking fun at my family. Like they were telling stories among themselves and laughing and having a good time. They meant to be heard, because when I opened my apt door, the mockery got louder and harsher, but then again, I never heard my name, everything was indirect. They told their kids to make as much noise as possible.. and so they did. They ran up and down the stair well ,
making loud thud sounds.. I kept quiet. I don't my nephew to go inside.2 1/2 hours passed, and I can still here the mocking but they are now all inside their apt and so the sounds are muffled. I can only hear ensuing laughter.. I don't understand. A friend of mine told me that if they spend so much time doing this, I must be getting under their skin for not reacting to their "advances".. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, because they are definitely getting louder and more obvious and hateful.

I cannot let this happen anymore, I would like to know what my rights are. I know my problem sounds simple but if you hear them and how loud they are, and their tone of voice, and the low jokes they tell, and everything else, you will get annoyed an extremely angry too. I suspect they do this to rouse a reaction in me, so we can have a confrontation.. which I haven't done but I am very close to. I have called the cops about this and they said "move" .. but unfortunately my family and I do not have the means. Another suggestion I had was " restraining order" but I don't think that's gonna work. I want them to follow apt rules ( no loud unreasonable noise) so if they want to talk, they should do it inside their apt where I can't hear them. Is that a good move? This has been going on on and off for 3 years, with the past year problem is escalating. The neighbors and their children are getting much more rowdy and they are like making their hate for us obvious. Also, their little "conversations" would last hours, from 6-9, everyday.. even going into the night ( but it's not that loud). I can sense alot of hate, and that's fine because I don't like them either. I just don't understand why the manager is letting this happen even if they are all friends, he should still follow the rules.

I also do not trust themn or the manager. When I am away from home, I get anxious because I don't know if they are rummaging through my things or entering our little home. There were instances where I would come home and the doors are unlocked, knowing I locked them before I left. This usually happens when we buy something new, or if we are away for long periods of time. I have let other instances go , but it's mounting up and I can't handle this pressure anymore. My parents are lovely people but they do not know how to stand up for themselves. What pre cautions should I take ? pls help.
also, I live in a multicultural neighborhood with many new immigrants. They are immigrants like me and we are not fully integrated into american system. Sorry for my bad english, i hope I expressed myself and my situation as clearly as possible.

Last edited:
Personally I would probably look into moving somewhere else, but one thing you can do is.

1. Try to get it recorded then file a complaint, I mean once you have the abuse on a recording then you have solid proof, otherwise its almost a he said she said.

If the manager is not listening to your complaints, perhaps the owner(s) will.

If the noise is disturbing your peace, then you can call the police to ask them to quiet down. But, the police cannot prevent them from being rude or annoying, only from being so loud that they disturb your ability to relax or do whatever you are trying to do inside your apartment.

My recommendation would be to move. You will not be able to change these folks' poor behavior, so you will either have to suffer through it or get out.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back