Need quick advice help

J

Jen smith

$4.19 theft in Minnesota. Five years ago I received a misdemeanor for petty theft in my home state, and had deferred prosecution with community service and a fine. I have to go to court within the week and cannot afford an attorney, so I will ask for a public defender. I am in Minnesota for work and return to my home state in a week, so I cannot complete community service in Minnesota. I am hoping to get off with a fine, but am worried sick that I could go to jail. I need someone to set things straight for me, as I have no idea what I'm dealing with.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Much depends on if this court is aware of your prior. Jail is an option but not likely

When you go to court, plead not guilty & ask for a public defender. The PD will go over your options etc. with you. Talk only to your PD. You "probably" will not get jail time.

$4.19 theft in Minnesota. Five years ago I received a misdemeanor for petty theft in my home state, and had deferred prosecution with community service and a fine. I have to go to court within the week and cannot afford an attorney, so I will ask for a public defender. I am in Minnesota for work and return to my home state in a week, so I cannot complete community service in Minnesota. I am hoping to get off with a fine, but am worried sick that I could go to jail. I need someone to set things straight for me, as I have no idea what I'm dealing with.

I suspect your income will be too high to qualify for a taxpayer supplied public defender.

If that is the case, get ready to shell out about $3,500 to $5,000 to hire yourself a mouthpiece.

You really don't want to go this one, pro se.

Be very careful, because your current employment might be at stake, meaning you could lose something far more valuable than $5,000 in lawyer fees.

Furthermore, if you get convicted or cop a plea, expect to pay another $1,500 (maybe $2,500) in court costs, fines, and fees.

Back