need help for grandparents rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjskids

This is a confusioning case. We are on a fixed income. We filed for temporary custody Pro-Se. Montgomery County, Ohio CPS gave Temporary Custody of our grandkids to someone that is a non-relative. The court conculed that custody of the children should be granted to the non-relatives because their home study is approved, because both parents indicated a preference to deal with the non-relatives concerning the children rather thatn the grandparents, and because MCC Svs. requested those arrangements. A home study of the grandparents is in process, but is not complete. We were not prepared on the day the court ruled. We were at/in court that day because we were informed that this hearing was only to inform the parents of the ruling for the interium hearing that had been held, neither parent appeared in court for that hearing and so that their legal rights were stated on the record.
However, to our shock, The court first stated that the grandparents had filed a motion for temporary custody Pro se. He then asked the parents & CPS if the are waving their right to be served. We were not informed/served a notice that our motion would be or that it could heard with the CPS's motion on the parents court hearing date. We had not even been assigned a hearing date for our Pro se motion. The court stated that they were going to rule on the temporary custody issue on this date.The court asked me/the grandfather if there was anything I/we wanted to testify to before the court ruled. I repeatedly stated that I didn't understand and I needed to get legal counsel. There court responded repetidly do you wish to testify or not. I felt pressured to testify without having my evidence. I did try to testify, but I was shaken by the courts move. I/we were unfamiliar with court proceeders. and interviewing witnesses. The issue of vistion was brought up by CPS. The court stated that it did not see why the non-relative and grandparents could not work something out, they have been along already. CPS and the non-relatives are wanting to restrict our visitations and will not compromise. We are filing for visitation Pro se at this time. We plan to file for custody again and be better prepared. We anticpate that we will need to obtain any/all revelvant evidence. We have been unable to get help in preparing our Pro Se packet. How can I fine some cases and statute that may applied for me?

Last edited:
Help I need to know how and were to fine case law and/or statue. Or a sample cope of a pro-se packet. thank you

Call around to see if an attorney is willing to help you pro bono. But if you are in a fixed income how can you properly take care of the kids? Your financial situation is looked at too, even though you eventually will rceive money you need to be able to care for the kids an not depend on state funds. Grandparents have little or no rights in most situations and custoy is often given to foster homes already approved. Do you have any relationship with the grandkids? If the parents are requesting custody to a non relative over you then that can be a bit concerning.

As for the money I can take care of them. But we don't want them to go out of the family. The family that got temp. custody of them told us that they are going for adoption. And are trying to cut us out of there lifes. They were good friends I look at him as my son, they were only going to help us. This is were it gets confusioning. Thats why we are haveing to visitation even after being the primary caretakers of them tell 2 week before court. The baby was 3 weeks when we got her and 4 mo. at court.
Thats just the start of it. Thanks Hope to here from you soon.

I'm a grandfather and we need help to fight Ohio CPS and stop our only grandkids to get Adopted out of the family. I don't have any money to get an attorney, is their any type of program that can help financially?

Now CPS call to set up a home study but on my record check there was a drug charge back in 1988 could this be a problem ?Now thay have not try to work with us so far. I feel that thay will use this against us. It's been 20 yrs. and there is nothing else on there.

I live here in canton,ohio. I have 2 kids , both of my kids are in foster care. When my kids was taken from me. I did not know my kids. I did not know what kind of removal my kids was taken on. Im always going to be hurting deep down inside all because. I did not know my rights. I would like for everyone that dealing with cps or the police look up your rights. It a lot of helpful information online. join a group in your area or state. I will be starting own group here in canton ohio. Im still fighting for my 2 kids. my case worker want to put my kids up for adoption. I told my case worker my kids are not for sale. we have to all come together in all states. we have to keep for all of our kids. stop cps now

Kindness this is not the place to vent about CPS. If you have a legal question, ask it. there are always 2 sides to EVERY story and children are rarely removed from homes without it being justified. If CPS removed your kids and wants to terminate your rights, you are obviosly abusing or neglecting the kids, or they are at risk, and not following a case plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back