Need Advice With A Real Mess In PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdkrazee

My 21 year old daughter has a 17 month old daughter. When the baby was born she was in a relationship with a guy who is not the baby's biological father. The bio father had left town, my daughter could'nt find him, so she named the other guy as the father on the birth certificate, giving the baby his last name. He did sign papers agreeing to paternity. This guy has spent very little time with the baby due to being in jail most of the time since her birth, and has never paid any child support. Since that time my daughter and the father of record have broken up. My daughter eventually located the baby's "real" father, and he is aware of the baby and his paternity. My daughter wants to correct the birth certificate so the actual father is on the record. She has been to Domestic Relations and they are offering no help, telling my daughter that legally the father who is on the birth cert. IS the baby's father since he signed the forms claiming paternity. She receives Social Security Disability due to a multitude of psychological problems, and has little money to spend on attorneys, etc. Our local "Legal Aid" said they don't do these types of cases. She really wants to change the baby's last name to her last name, and get the pseudo-father out of the picture. Any advice?? Thanks!

Your daughter committed paternity fraud. She already identified this other guy as the legal father, there probably is no way to back peddle out of it. You just cannot change baby daddies on a whim. She needs to start googling to see if legally she can get a DNA test through the courts. If they are telling her no, then she might be stuck. Most is not all of this is her own fault. She needs to file child support against the legal dad and he can start paying when and if he gets out of jail. She also is probably eligible for state assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back