My car is in someone elses name but I have been making the payments..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klasalata11

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My car is in someone elses name but I have been making the payments on time for 2 years. I've never had a lapse in insurance coverage or any accidents but recently was told by the other party that if I move out of state that I cannot take my vehicle with me. Is this even legal? We had a verbal agreement and have a signed agreement by me that it is in their name but I make the monthly payments, but I have recently decided to move out of state and now the other party is threatening me with repossession the vehicle. I just need to know what my rights are if any.

You have made a classic boner.
The person named on the title owns the car, despite your payments, you're doing nothing but renting the other person's car.

I suggest you buy your own car, with you clearly named ALONE on the title.

You have no rights to the property of others.

I just need to know what my rights are if any.

None. It's his car. I agree with Army Judge. You have been renting it.

Not to mention committing fraud against the lender and the insurance company.

PS: Take his car out of state and it's Grand Theft Auto.

I suggest you just give it back to him and stop making the payments and cancel the insurance. Then find yourself another car the honest way.

My car is in someone elses name but I have been making the payments on time for 2 years.

That was not a good idea. Even if you are making payments, the car is his if his name is on the title & he can do with it as he wishes. You might want to just let him have the car at this time. Sorry.

You guys are really harsh. I'm not committing insurance fraud if I'm on the insurance as a driver and have full coverage as well.

I'm not committing grand theft auto if the other party knows where the vehicle is and knows it's been in my possession for the past 2 years. I have plans to get it financed in my name and registered in that state within 30 days of taking residency.

You guys are really harsh. I'm not committing insurance fraud if I'm on the insurance as a driver and have full coverage as well.

Are you a member of the Named Insured's household? If not, does his insurance company know that you live elsewhere and have the car there all the time?

I'm not committing grand theft auto if the other party knows where the vehicle is and knows it's been in my possession for the past 2 years.

No, you're not committing grand theft. That's not what I said. You will be committing grand theft if you take HIS car out of state after he says "Don't take it, give it back now." Doesn't matter what has happened before that moment when he no longer consents to you possessing the car.

I have plans to get it financed in my name and registered in that state within 30 days of taking residency.

I doubt if your plans will bear fruit and your friend must realize it, too. Otherwise, why don't you get it refinanced now? I'll tell you why. You can't qualify now. Either because of bad credit or that the car isn't worth what it will take to pay off the old loan or a combination of both and it will be harder to qualify after you move when you've just had a job and address change.

You may find it harsh but we assume you came here for the truth. This is not your car. It is his car. Period.

You really should check your auto policy as well. Few insurers will cover a vehicle in someone else's name. If something happens to the vehicle, the carrier wants to be dealing with the owner, not some third party.

You may not be able to get the plates changed in the new state if you are not on the title either. To register it, you will have to prove you own it. Now that f this other person is willing to sign the car over to you as the owner, whatever financial arrangement you come to is between the two of you.

I don't know why you trolled for a thread that's 7 years old.

But the answer to your question is basically, yes, people can write contracts for just about anything that they agree on.

Trouble is, in this case it won't solve any of the problems enumerated by the participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back