My brother was killed while on the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

acabral

On July 13th of last year my brother Jack was killed in a head on collision. He had just left his place of place of employment and was heading to the jobsite in the company vehicle. The accident was caused by a young woman who was driving at an excessive speed , witnesses say she came up behind a tractor trailer rig, and instead of slowing down, she went to pass on a double solid line. My brother was coming from the opposite direction, and when he tried to veer to the outside of his lane, the woman veered in the same direction. She was killed instantly, while my brother clinged to life for several hours with a severed aeorta. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
My brother was not married nor did he have any children of his own. Our father died of cancer in November of 1997, and our mother who lives in Oregon is the only other family we have. I was interviewed by an investigator for his employers workmans comp about amonth or so after he was killed. At which time I was asked questions about how much my brother helped me and my children financially.
My brother was not like any other, in January of 2005 my ex, the father of my two young sons had died of a massive heart attack. At which time my brother became the dad that they no longer had. Anything the boys and I needed, he took care of. From school clothes to tee ball. He was there for us financially and emotionally. He had practically moved into my home to help me, and the boys as we struggled to get past our loss.
Months have went by and I was contacted by the attorney my mother hired to handle to probate. I informed him of my interview and shortly thereafter I received a NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION OF A PARTY AND NOTICE TO PRODUCE TANGIBLE THINGS FOR INSPECTION AND COPYING. The deposition is at the office of the attorney my mother has hired. My brother and I have always known our mother to be selfish and greedy, and she verbally has expressed how she got nothing when our dad died and she will be damned if I get anything now. I have spoke with the attorney for my brothers estate and was told I did not need seperate legal counsel. But since my mom is the one that hired him, I am not sure that he is looking out for the best interest of my boys and I. Should I obtain my own counsel?

I agree with cbg, definately consult with a counsel of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back