multiple problems with tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgl116

I have had a tenant for 6 months he has chronically been late for the rent, I had enough and served him with 14 day notice to quit, after receiving the summons he moved the case from district to housing court causing a delay, and called the health dept for an inspection, they found me in violation of codes broken window broken doors slow flushing toilet (I have a receipt from a plumber unclogging this a week earlier)all this is damage caused by the tenant, the only proof that the apartment was in good condition is the tenants signature on the lease as such, like I said six months ago(every page of it is initialed).
After starting this procedure I found out they were also very noisy and disrespectful to other tenants, I have obtained 3 police listings of them being called out for excessive noise after midnight. Can I serve them with a second notice to quit (30 day for lease violation) and start a second court process(with the first one still in progress)without it being considered a vindictive persecution due to the health inspection(I believe I have already established that I planned to evict the tenant anyway)and if the first case for some insane reason is found in favor of the tenant(I am in Massachusetts after all)will it have an effect on the second

Follow through with the first hearing. Filing a second case without concluding the first one is very likely to be seen as retaliation in a tenant friendly state such as yours.

Bring copies of the police reports to the hearing.

Gail

one thing I did do in this case is even though I did not include lease violations on the 14 day notice I gave the tenant I had the constable include the term "as well as other lease violations (a list of three violations)" does this stand up ( my main concern is that i don't want the case dismissed on a stupid technicality)
I am a fairly new landlord I may have not dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's(for example i had taken security deposit without following the state mandated procedure but i returned it with interest when i realized it)but people should not get off not paying

Last edited:
All ended well Judge asked if I was notified of damages in writing answer was no, asked if damages were preexisting answer yes, asked why she signed off on condition of apartment as being good she said she was in a tough spot and had to to move in. Judge said your in a tough spot now so why should I believe you. The question of the day do you have the money to pay right now? answer: no. See ya round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back