Move out inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymaymae

Hi there I live in McDonough outside of Atlanta.
I just moved out of an apartment after 5 years. There was much damage to the carpet due to a pet. And the blinds were destroyed. I am not going to lie, we did not clean the apartment very well. And did not take pics when we left. However, when I turned in the keys, an inspection was not done between myslef and the property manager. The damages list was sent to me within 7 days. And was not satifactorily itemized.
In the state of Ga, do they have to do an inspecton with the tenant to demand damages? They do have pictures, and I do not deny damages. I just think that after 5 years of tenancy I should not have to pay for the carpet replacement.

I know in some states the carpet is to be replaced by law every 3 years or when the tenant moves out and everytime a tenant moves out the place is to be painted.

In Georgia, a move-out inspection is required, giving both the tenant and the landlord an opportunity to discuss the issues of damages at the time of the move-out. Failure to undertake this does not, however, negate the landlord/managements ability to charge for damages above normal wear and tear.

The above inspection is not required if the landlord owns less than 10 rental units in Georgia.

The issue of damage to carpets seems to come up quite a bit. The value of a carpet is prorated, typically over a 5 to 7 year period. Thus, someone who did damage to a 5 year old carpet would owe less than someone who did enough damage to a 1 carpet to the point where it had to be replaced.

Your problem may be that if the landlord claims the life of this carpet is five years...and you lived there for five years....then you're the only one who did enough damage to the carpet that it now has to be replaced.

I hope this makes sense....

Gail

In Georgia, a move-out inspection is required, giving both the tenant and the landlord an opportunity to discuss the issues of damages at the time of the move-out. Failure to undertake this does not, however, negate the landlord/managements ability to charge for damages above normal wear and tear.

The above inspection is not required if the landlord owns less than 10 rental units in Georgia.

The issue of damage to carpets seems to come up quite a bit. The value of a carpet is prorated, typically over a 5 to 7 year period. Thus, someone who did damage to a 5 year old carpet would owe less than someone who did enough damage to a 1 carpet to the point where it had to be replaced.

Your problem may be that if the landlord claims the life of this carpet is five years...and you lived there for five years....then you're the only one who did enough damage to the carpet that it now has to be replaced.

I hope this makes sense....

Gail

Well, there were 2 adults and 1 child plus a pet that I paid a 350 NR pet deposit on. So it wasnt just I alone that did enough damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back