Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP<Do my parents have to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebraSue2006

So last week I was on my way home from Warrensburg with two friends. The driver was going 90 in a 65 so we got pulled over. There was alcohol in the back that the driver admitted to. He passed all of the sobriety checks but went to jail for speeding anyways. All three of us recieved MIPs. The driver is 19 and my friend and I are only 17. We already have a lawyer. Is there any chance that the charges can be dropped against my friend and I since we didn't know the alcohol was in the car? If not...is there a way to go about it without my parents finding out? I already have the ticket...so will something still come in the mail? How do I get this of my record? And finally, If we do get charged, then what are the possible punishments?

Please give me any advise you can!!!

90 mph in a 65 zone and open intoxicants in the car!?! Do you have any idea how lucky you and your friends are to be alive?

How exactly were you able to retain an attorney without your parent's involvement? You're 17 years old - you can't enter into a valid contract.

Beth3 said:
90 mph in a 65 zone and open intoxicants in the car!?! Do you have any idea how lucky you and your friends are to be alive?

How exactly were you able to retain an attorney without your parent's involvement? You're 17 years old - you can't enter into a valid contract.

*Okay* So I need actual advice...not to be scorned. I know we were going fast, however everyone in the car was sober and none of the alcohol was even opened. The driver got the attorney and is trying to get charges dropped since my friend and I didn't even know that he had stored alcohol in the back. So if you have any REAL advice that will be helpful to me...please reply ASAP!

if the driver admitted that the alcohol was his then i dont quite understand why they gave you and your other friend an MIP. if you didnt know that he had alcohol in teh car then i dont belive that you would be liable for his actions. an MIP isnt that serious of an offense and when you go to your court date you may be able to plead youthful offender, which means that the offense wont show up on your record if you put in an application for a job then you wont have to state that you were charged with a felony. good luck and i hope all goes well.

hugegolfnut said:
if the driver admitted that the alcohol was his then i dont quite understand why they gave you and your other friend an MIP. if you didnt know that he had alcohol in teh car then i dont belive that you would be liable for his actions. an MIP isnt that serious of an offense and when you go to your court date you may be able to plead youthful offender, which means that the offense wont show up on your record if you put in an application for a job then you wont have to state that you were charged with a felony. good luck and i hope all goes well.

A MIP is a felony? I thought it was just a misdimeanor(sp?).

same thing happened to me

in mighigan that happened and i only had to send in payment for the fine and i never told my parents. Thing may have changed i was 17 then im 20 now.

some cops are twits.

Did the cop give any of you a PBT?

The alcohol was at most in a common area, and claimed by your friend. Any judge who isn't someone on a high horse about alcohol will toss it out. If your friend has an attorney maybe see if you could pay a small amount to get him to work for you since there is no conflict of interests.

Than toilet paper the cop's house. . .

Kids do things like go 90 in a 65. I take it he was charged with Reckless Driving? That's the only thing where the cop could send him to jail, expect MAYBE careless driving. Most cops would understand and let him off with a written slip.

What state are you in?

What happens secondary to getting an mip depends on what state you are in and the the state law says.

Are you in Missouri, New York, somewhere else?

Besides what happens legally, I think you'd be smart to talk to your parents about this. Secrets have a bad habit of showing up at inconvenient times, this is not something you'd want your parents to find out from someone else. Besides, they can help you if you do need legal assistance. You friend may have gotten a lawyer, but that lawyer is not YOUR lawer.

Ibis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back