Midyear employee contribution changes

introyble

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
May the employer increase employee contribution for healthcare midterm if the provider cost has not changed? Several 1999 proposed mandates suggest employees are protected unless the provider has significant rate increases.

I learned from a colleague, the day of this post, that the director of operations implemented a midyear employee healthcare contribution rate increase of 20%. An audit of my income statements supported this fact. Further, the change was implemented some 8 weeks ago, on or near July 1, 2015. I received no written or verbal notification as no written communication nor warning was ever presented to any person within the company. Astonished, I requested explaination the reason of financial hardship was cited. Further, absence due to vacation was the explanation for the communication failures. There was no change in provider cost. Can the employer simply decide to adjust the cost seemingly where a single manager decides?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way a bunch of outsiders can know what another stranger is allowed to do.
That said, by your very admission, the dud has already done that which you think is improper.
If you have a union, take the matter to your shop steward, or union official.
Otherwise, you can consult a few attorneys in your county, or discuss your concerns with the proper officials within your employer's chain of command.

In the absence of a law expressly prohibiting an action, that action is legal. Since evidently none of the proposed legislation ever were passed, you have your answer.

Back