Medical/Dental Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennbo

I'm in Alabama.
My divorce decree requires that I carry medical insurance on my daughter (now 17) which I do. My daughter got braces. My decree does not require that I carry dental, but I do anyway. The dental insurance I carry is going to pay $1000 toward her total bill of $4800. My ex wife is threatening to file that I pay 1/2 of remaining balance amounting to $1900. I have stated that I will pay what I can, but cannot obligate myself to pay monthly installments totalling the $1900. Lastly, my ex chose a orthodontist outside the Preferred carrier list...if she had chosen inside the network, it would have cost $200 instread of $4800.

Here's my question...
Since my divorce decree states that I am required to carry medical and pay 1/2 of what is not paid by insurance, am I obligated to pay the balance of the braces? It seems that
this would fall under dental (which I am not required to carry or pay).

Please advise...she is threatening to hire an attorney and take me to court to force me to pay $1900.
Thanks,
Charles
:mad:

Let her take you to court. If your decree states medical then wait and let her take you to court. They may ammend the decree and they may not. You should suggest to her "Strongly", (and mention to the court if she takes you) to transfer your daughter to an orthodontist in your network, (if money is the problem) since it cost substantially less. Give her that list and if you go to court take a list with you...be prepared, bring your dental premiums, etc...The fact she chose an out-of-network provider should be on her, not you. Did she have that list when she made her decision? Furthermore, If your insurance pays $1000.00 then that should be included as part of your paying because you're paying for the insurance to begin with. So half of $4,800, then minus the $1000.00 from that half ($1400)? Now that's not a legal opinion but that makes more sense to me especially because of the choice she has made to use an out-of network provider. Let us know what happens. Also find out if it was for cosmetic reasons or medically necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back