May I sell this company eqpt legally

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRGreen

Not sure where to post this, so if not here, please instruct me where?

From late 2005 to Oct 2006, I was employed by a foreign company (JE) with an LLC entity in Dallas. The CEO of JE was someone I had known and trusted for many years in my prior career.

In June 2006, JE asked me to close the Dallas office and fire the 2 employees. With advice from Texas counsel, I did so. I moved all documents, equipment and a convention booth exhibit to my home in Missouri where it has remained since.

In Sept 2006, JE decided to let me go and refused to pay me what they owed in pay, taxes and travel expenses.

While I've sent several emails to JE to collect monies owed to me and advised them to get their stuff out of my home, there was no response although I know they are still in business. I am now moving and will not have space to store this stuff. Obviously, I would like to recover some of the monies owed to me. May I legally sell the equipment and how long should I keep the documents should I need them?

Thank you for any advice you can provide,
SRG

You've kept their junk for almost three years.

It is safe to assume they no longer want it.

You should retain your correspondence to return their junk to them.

It shows you made good faith efforts to return their junk to them.

It would seem you are free to discard all of their junk at this late date, especially since they ignore your contact efforts.

I don't think they are worried about retrieving it.

You could have pursued a claim for back wages and expenses with the Texas Workforce Commission.

It might still be possible.

You've got nothing to lose.

In fact, you might have four years to pursue wage claims.

I am unsure.

Why not contact both the Missouri and Texas agencies.

One of them might be able to get you your money.

You might even be able to bring a small claims case for wages and storage fees of their crap in MO or TX.

Were you a 1099 contractor or a W2 employee?

Thank you Army Judge.

The LLC in TX was closed in 2006. The foreign company is still in business, but refuses to honor or understand US law. While I was working for them, I could not get them to understand that payments to TX Workforce were necessary. After I was let go, I left that issue in the hands of a TX attorney. Hopefully, he was able get that sorted out and get paid himself for that matter! I could go on and on.

In any case, they paid me directly from the foreign company and I filed my taxes as a contractor for that year. They owe me approximately $4000.00, but at this point in time I just want to be done. Lesson learned - the hard way!

I just wanted to assure myself and potential buyers of said eqpt that I had the legal right to do so.

I greatly appreciate your response.
SRG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back