Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Marijuana manufacture

anonymous1221

Hello, I'm 26 years old from North Carolina and I was wanting to ask for a second opinion.

We we're charges with manufacture of marijuana and intent to distribute 5,000 grams of marijuana(which is unfair, they weighed the marijuana WET with the stems/leaves/everything)
Which if they would of ended up under 12 ounces of died product....

Here's my story about what happened. My father was growing marijuana in the house that I live in, and had narcotic officers knock on the door lying that they smelled marijuana
(someone who knew about it got in trouble and told on my father, without purchasing anything off of him). My father was nervous and told them that he would of let them in if
he would be able to take all the blame for everything(of course they didn't live up to their promise).

There was an entire room committed to the grow(a typical room someone that would live in) and then there was a garage turned into a room that is considered my room. Inside that room
has a storage closet utility room that has the electrical breakers and also can store item in it. In that storage room, in order to get into that room, you have to go from inside
of my room to get into(it's not a personal closet). Inside that room was accessories such as nutrients, dirt, and more for growing plant. Also in that room, since there isn't
enough room in the main grow room to grow the plants that come from seed(no more than a 12 inches) that sit in the utility closet(no more than 24 small plants) that were in there.
So they ended up charging my father and me with the exact same charges(because those small plants were considered to be in my closet, which it's no a personal closet, but a utility room).

They wanted my father to become an informant, and they left the house after confiscating all the marijuana. My father didn't want to become an informant and went to talk to a lawyer.
So when the lawyer called the officer who wanted my father to become an informant, and declined that this would happen, police come the next week and arrest my father and I.
I was really shocked to see that I was arrested and also who lives in the house is my mother, who was not arrested(assuming since nothing was in her room, my lawyer said). So
My father and I spent $2,500 each for our lawyer and finally 6 months later, we get to see our plea deal which would be plea as a felon, 24 months of supervised probation, and
24 hours of community service in 90 days.

I was told that I can take this to trial( my lawyer just kept saying I'm not strong arming you to take the deal), and didn't give me any idea what my chances were. I was pretty
shocked that I would be charges equally as my father and being 26 years old with no prior record(not even speeding tickets or anything) would be a felon for the rest of my life
which would ruin any future of mine of becoming anything other than the minimum wage worker who would have to write in my job application that I have been charge with a felony in my past
is just very upsetting to me.

I had absolutely no control and begged my father that I didn't want him to do this. I read news stories of officers kicking down doors and shooting their dog and being in the newspaper.

The officers lied, in the discover I read the officers said that "We we're doing this to make money"... Which I would never say this, thinking we would take a plea deal and it would be over.
when they specifically said that my father could take the blame before ever letting them in, so which narcotic officers are known to be corrupt and crooked....

I'm curious what you guys/girls think I should do...I told my lawyer it wasn't fair for them to charge me as if I were a 50/50 partner with my father and was charged as equally
as him(giving us the same exact charges)....

I'm not wanting to be known as a felon for the rest of my life......I had no control over anything that went on in the house and begged my father to not do this.

What are my chances do you think if I took this to trial(obviously my father isn't going to go to trial, he's guilty, but me??? I find this unfair.)

So you had no knowledge your father was growing that much marijuana in a closet in your bedroom? Good luck with that argument. When a crime is committed, it is not up to the police to prosecute or not and at that point the police didn't even know what they would find. If the police suspect there is illegal activity, they investigate, arrest and the DA decides to prosecute or not.

If you do the crime, you do the time. For example if two people break into a house and steal stuff, one can not decide the other should not get in trouble for it. That isn't how it works. Each person and their own guilt or innocent is weighed separately. Regret you got caught and not wanting to suffer the consequences is not a valid reason to let you off the hook. You have an attorney. That's who you need to talk to about any deals or trial expectations. A clean record thus far is only going to carry so much weight.

Hello, I'm 26 years old from North Carolina and I was wanting to ask for a second opinion.

We we're charges with manufacture of marijuana and intent to distribute 5,000 grams of marijuana(which is unfair, they weighed the marijuana WET with the stems/leaves/everything)
Which if they would of ended up under 12 ounces of died product....

Here's my story about what happened. My father was growing marijuana in the house that I live in, and had narcotic officers knock on the door lying that they smelled marijuana
(someone who knew about it got in trouble and told on my father, without purchasing anything off of him). My father was nervous and told them that he would of let them in if
he would be able to take all the blame for everything(of course they didn't live up to their promise).

There was an entire room committed to the grow(a typical room someone that would live in) and then there was a garage turned into a room that is considered my room. Inside that room
has a storage closet utility room that has the electrical breakers and also can store item in it. In that storage room, in order to get into that room, you have to go from inside
of my room to get into(it's not a personal closet). Inside that room was accessories such as nutrients, dirt, and more for growing plant. Also in that room, since there isn't
enough room in the main grow room to grow the plants that come from seed(no more than a 12 inches) that sit in the utility closet(no more than 24 small plants) that were in there.
So they ended up charging my father and me with the exact same charges(because those small plants were considered to be in my closet, which it's no a personal closet, but a utility room).

They wanted my father to become an informant, and they left the house after confiscating all the marijuana. My father didn't want to become an informant and went to talk to a lawyer.
So when the lawyer called the officer who wanted my father to become an informant, and declined that this would happen, police come the next week and arrest my father and I.
I was really shocked to see that I was arrested and also who lives in the house is my mother, who was not arrested(assuming since nothing was in her room, my lawyer said). So
My father and I spent $2,500 each for our lawyer and finally 6 months later, we get to see our plea deal which would be plea as a felon, 24 months of supervised probation, and
24 hours of community service in 90 days.

I was told that I can take this to trial( my lawyer just kept saying I'm not strong arming you to take the deal), and didn't give me any idea what my chances were. I was pretty
shocked that I would be charges equally as my father and being 26 years old with no prior record(not even speeding tickets or anything) would be a felon for the rest of my life
which would ruin any future of mine of becoming anything other than the minimum wage worker who would have to write in my job application that I have been charge with a felony in my past
is just very upsetting to me.

I had absolutely no control and begged my father that I didn't want him to do this. I read news stories of officers kicking down doors and shooting their dog and being in the newspaper.

The officers lied, in the discover I read the officers said that "We we're doing this to make money"... Which I would never say this, thinking we would take a plea deal and it would be over.
when they specifically said that my father could take the blame before ever letting them in, so which narcotic officers are known to be corrupt and crooked....

I'm curious what you guys/girls think I should do...I told my lawyer it wasn't fair for them to charge me as if I were a 50/50 partner with my father and was charged as equally
as him(giving us the same exact charges)....

I'm not wanting to be known as a felon for the rest of my life......I had no control over anything that went on in the house and begged my father to not do this.

What are my chances do you think if I took this to trial(obviously my father isn't going to go to trial, he's guilty, but me??? I find this unfair.)

A legal message board or forum can't help you.
You require the services of a criminal defense attorney licensed in your state.
You are also better off NOT discussing any of this mess, except with your attorney.
It isn't about "fair", its about what the law allows!
Good luck.

As army judge says, this is a matter for you and your attorney. There are so many facts we don't know, such as whether there is any evidence against you, personally. After all, why did they arrest you? If your father was foolish enough to say "I'll take the blame just don't arrest my son" then that is a statement that CAN be used against you at trial. It's still very poor proof without anything else. The danger is if the prosecution has witnesses or other evidence tying you to the crime -- and remember the point. The prosecution must prove their case against you. If your father owns or is the person with title on the lease, he will be charged as the property owner / lessee. Charging you may just be routine based upon what was allegedly said.

Best of luck to you and your father. This is the best we can do here as there are so many facts in this case which are best known by you and your criminal attorney.

Back