loss custody but still owed arrears

Status
Not open for further replies.

magareb

how does it work for the this kind of situation. I(the father) have had custody of my son since 2yrs old (he is now 16) and the mother sought custody and rec'd it. During this time she has accumulated a large debt in CS (no doubt an attempt to get out of paying it) I also know eventually she will file for support. Can someone explain simply how this may go down??? As I didn't believe a court would take my son away like that as well I guess anything can happen

Also she must of had her taxes withheld (she has not worked on the books for awhile to avoid paying I guess until the recent year) she is filing to terminate something I am not clear what it is but I am being told it is something to do with the CS and/or arrears (I'm being told she is waiting as close to the court date as possible)

Last edited:
Please tell us your state, as CS laws vary from state to state. Also, did you ever report or try to collect the CS that was in arrears? Who or what agency did you report it to? Did you ever take your ex-wife to court over the money owed? The answer to these questions may help a person who wants to reply, who has expertise in this area. You may also google your state laws on child support and may be able to find your answers there.

I am in NY, Kings county and yes years ago (2000), but I had never depended on the money knowing she purposely stayed out of on the book work. Actually in 2000 I waived the amount owed then because they would have sent her to jail. Since she has accumulated even more than that amount. Nonetheless I believe her taxes have been intercepted or something which is spurning these recent events. She only recently was granted custody as I have had him for 13 years.

Last edited:
Go to this website http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/nyfaq09/view and it may answer some of your questions. It is sponsered by an attorney and has many sections to choose from. If your questions are not answerd you should be able to post a question. Go to the section titled: New York Enforcement of Maintenance & Child Support FAQ's. There is also a forum that you can check out and see if you find answers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back