Loan Co-signer years ago, now get eviction notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvlylady3311

Looking for some advice obviously. About 3 years ago, December 31, 2003 to be exact, I co-signed a lease for a friend who needed a co-signer that was not the Church. She had the financial backing of her church for the duration of the lease which was from January 1, 2004 through July 31, 2004. I agreed to be the "silent" partner in all of this due to the assurance of the church that all bills would be paid on time and in full. There were 3 signers if memory serves : My friend, an acting agent of the church, and myself. After the lease had Expired, the tenant was basically on her own for making payments. I was receiving notices that the rent had not been paid and after a couple of months of these notices I received in the mail, I got fed up with it and asked to be removed from the lease agreement. The mailings stopped for notices of rent due and I thought that all was well. I do not remember if I went to sign paperwork, I may have, but I have no records indicating that I did. I also have no records showing the original lease agreement so that does not mean that I didn't, again, I simply don't remember if I did or not as this was more than 2 years ago. Fast forward to today, I get an eviction notice and summons to appear in court this Monday morning at 7am.

Legally do I even have a leg to stand on without proper paperwork stating that I was removed from this lease? As stated I was under the impression that I was removed from the lease due to the rent due mailings no longer showing up in my mailbox. And I know that there were many many months between late 2004 and this month Dec 2006 that the payments were late/passed due.

Thanks in advance.

You signed the lease.

You are responsible.

I signed a lease agreement for January to July 2004.

I did not re-sign any paperwork to extend the lease. But I am still responsible? In light of the above lease term?

I signed a lease agreement for January to July 2004.

I did not re-sign any paperwork to extend the lease. But I am still responsible? In light of the above lease term?

What does the written lease say in answer to your questions?

The only reference that I find to the lease renewal is section 20.

It states: This lease shall automatically be renewed for successive terms of one month each, subject to the following conditions. Property owner or tenant may decline the automatic renewal of this lease by giving one month advance written notice prior to expiration of original term or successive terms. Property owner may increase said rental amount or modify lease for any extended term by giving advance written notice equal to one month to the tenant.

So, I'm pretty much bound by that clause to the lease even though the term was only for 7 months?

how to remove my name from a lease for which I co-signed?

Greetings of love to all.

This is my first time writing something in this forum and I am not sure if I am doing it right. What is a thread?...a topic? I came to this one because it is similar to my quandary. Recently, a non for profit organization in which I volunteered my time, used my name for a credit report to lease a house. Now I am not with the organization and would like to remove my name from it. Can someone guide me in how to do this? Also, the person in charge there created another non-for-profit company and she added my name as an employee. Originally it was only the twoo of us but later I heard that two of her relatives had come aboard and I was not informed about it. I don't think there is any activity in that company but I would also like to get out. What would anyone suggest I should do?

I hope I am doing this right and that someone responds to me with some help. Thank you.

Best regards, PA

Pick a topic (see the forum index for help).

Start your own new thread (meaning your question).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back