Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication life or death for a drunk crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

negnup

I can't get a lawyer to talk to me because I am the one who pressed charges so hopefully someone here can help me.

My closest friend has serious drinking problems - it has always hindered all of his relationships because as soon as he gets drunk he is a different person and can easily hurt everyone around him. On my birthday about a month ago, he got wasted, blacked out and raped me. I didn't lead him on or anything - the raping was completely unprompted and out of the blue. Angry and hurt, I immediately went to the police and ended up spending the rest of the night getting a rape kit done. Now, several weeks later, police are still looking for him and he is no where to be found. All I know is what I have heard from our friends that he calls from random places. Apparently he is just trying to work up the guts to kill himself. If he turns himself in, he will probably be facing 10 years. When he gets out, he'll be 40, his friends will be gone, he will have a hard time ever finding a job and will probably never be able to find a decent girl with a record like that. I don't blame him for wanting to kill himself; I probably would too.

I think people should take responsibility for their actions, but he doesn't even remember the rape happening. I don't think he should just get off for the crime but I think he would benefit more from rehab and therapy than being locked up in a cell. However.. I know even though I am the victim, most likely my wishes will mean nothing at all in court. Had I known he would face such a harsh penalty I don't think I would have pressed charges; the cop assured me I could ask them to do a plea bargain and he'd only get a few years but I've been told since that that's up to what sort of mood the judge is in. I want to offer him some sort of hope that he doesn't need to kill himself, but I've got nothing. He can't afford a lawyer. Does anyone have any advice or anything to offer positive in his favor?

If he becomes a different person when drunk, to the extent that when sober he is your friend and once he gets drunk he doesn't remember what he is doing and somehow randomly rapes his friend...perhaps there is some mental health issues at play?

I have to say that if he knows he has a predictable (and horrible) change in personality when he drinks alcohol he shouldnt drink alcohol because the potential outcome of the drinking are clearly known.

Perhaps if he had never drunk before and never knew how booze affects his personality potentially he could argue that he had no way of knowing what might occur if he got drunk? But this doesn't seem to be the case.

If you want something to say or for someone else to say to him to try to prevent his suicide perhaps talk about how it wasnt him but it was the alcohol which caused his actions? Maybe tell him he has a serious problem with drinking and that he isnt a bad person when sober and that he needs to work on his alcoholism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back