Legally, what are my options?

J

Jrb10

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I am a hairstylist working out a suite/loft booth rental salon in Ohio. 2 years ago I went from renting a suite myself to sharing a larger space with a suitemate. At the time the landlord was reluctant to allow him to move into the space as he only is a part time worker I was promised he worked 3 days a week mwf. I am full time. He eventually begged so much they said yes with the understanding they could put someone else in to share his chair. Typically part time workers share a single space. We work out of a single room with two booths. My rent is obviously higher as I chose to solely rent my chair...him being part time, they can put another part time stylist in, that would be 3 people in a two seated space.
Originally when we moved in things were going great. We worked very well together for about a year. He was a little loud and slightly obnoxious, however over all things were good. Then gradually I noticed he needed things constantly. He never had supplies, he was always late, constantly coming unprepared. All in all not my problem. Being a good friend when he asked to use things would I let him. After a while I felt taken advantage of. I explained to him I was feeling used and felt like I did everything to maintain our work space as well as provided all provisions for clients. I asked to share the resonsibilities. We divided them up I would buy x he would buy y. That lasted one time...he then stopped supplying what we agreed upon. Needing things for MY clients I was always eventually stuck buying them anyway, so I'd have them myself. Once I broke down and supplied it, he would help himself. His clients completely disrupt my services partying and drinking in the room. Being loud talking about inappropriate topics like taking drugs/ excessive drinking, extremely loud music, having multiple people in our space who were not receiving services. Having other stylist work out of out loft with him. Working days he would not be in. He sells/smokes marijuana out of that room with/to his clients (tho I know for fact not sure how to prove it). Using all, not some, all of the coffee tea water candy ect. I supply for my clients. All of the equipment in the room is mine. I slowly noticed my products disappearing. Then I became aware of him coming in everyday. Not 3 like I was told. Again, I brought this to his attention. Explaining I was feeling taken advantage of and he needed to provide the things his clients and friends were using. It became a very tense work environment. After that conversation he stopped talking to me all together. I reached out many times so we could try to come to some sort of understanding. No reply, or literally ignoring me to my face.
I then went to the landlord and asked for help. I asked if there was a way to set up a meeting. Maybe some kind of mediation or 3rd party...a new schedule so we worked opposite schedules, anything I could think of to help. I got the answer of "I'll get back with you" no reply. I reached out again with several more attempt to get help. Each time "I understand, I'm sorry. Let me get back to you" again, no reply. I started keeping track of the goings on happening and alerted the landlord every single time they happen. The landlord as assured me they have talked to him. However his behavior has never changed. Eventually I came in to find a broken piece of equipment and decided from that day forward I wouldn't allow him to use ANYTHING of mine. So if it was mine and he was using it...i took it home. That's started a passive aggressive war on his part. I feel like I am being bullied in my own space. I have lost clients as a result of his behavior. Now, my landlord has assured me they are working on it however it's been 7 months and no one will give me an answer. We are leased thru July. I get the whole lease agreement can't be broken...I am prepared to be there until July, however I don't understand why they won't or can't discuss anything with me. Is there nothing that can be done? Do I have any legal recourse of any kind? How can they do nothing? I pay $310 more a month in rent then he does. Even tho he works on days he should not. Basically he is working full time and paying part time rent, not to mention creating a hostile work environment. Is there anything I can do? That goes for my roommate and my landlord.

If there was a legal solution, it would take six months to a year to come to fruition.

Your lease ends in July.

Provide your Landlord with your move out notice in writing by certified mail, return receipt requested and in person delivery tomorrow.

Then start your search for a single use space with you as the ONLY tenant.

If its easier, ask your landlord if he has such a space.

You're paying $300 a month in rent, he's stealing another $300 from you in supplies, another $500 in LOST business, and $10,000 in aggravation.

Moochers, leeches, thieves, and con-artists don't change.
A predator must predate.
A mooch must leech.

Besides, adult roommate situations rarely work.
Look at marriages, a form of roommates, they fail at 50% annually.

Time to lose the leech.

The numbers you provided above...

What exactly are you saying to do with those? Im already planning the exit and they do have another space available, which I'm taking. As far as legal action against my co-tenant, are you saying there is none? Or that's where you got the numbers?

What exactly are you saying to do with those? Im already planning the exit and they do have another space available, which I'm taking. As far as legal action against my co-tenant, are you saying there is none? Or that's where you got the numbers?

You have no easily attainable legal recourse against the co-tenant aka the leech. Sure, you could attempt to sue this person in small claims court for instance for the money lost due to him using your supplies and the apparent loss of business that you won't easily be able to prove...the reality is that if you win a judgement you will likely never collect on it.

So, you move on to a better studio and never enter a roommate / co-tenant relationship again; as noted above they never work out.

The numbers were nothing more than an exaggeration to illustrate my point that it'll be far cheaper n the future to see if your landlord will allow to move next week, or upon the expiration of your lease.

The numbers were meant to prove to you that you don't need empty promises of deadbeats to run your business. You're obviously good at what you do. All you need to get away from the dope smoking, losers that drive away your customers and steal your stuff.

Back