Legal custody issues....Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcjavaman

I have been divorced for almost 7 years. I have 2 daughters and have joint physical and legal custody. My ex is the primary custodian. We have had many issues we have dealt with over the years and many we just choose to differ on. I have two issues that have occurred in the past couple of weeks and I need some advice.

First, my oldest daughter has ADD. We agreed on an herbal medication that she has been taking for about a year and a half. My ex has wanted her to take Focalin, but I somehow convinced her to go with Attend. I just found out that she went behind my back and took my daughter to the doctor and had Focalin prescribed for her. She neglected to discuss any of this with me because in the past I told her I did not want her to take Focalin. She went as far as taking the meds to school and had them administered there after I dropped my daughter off at school and after she had taken her morning dose of Attend. After two weeks of this routine, she decided to tell me. I immediately stopped giving her Attend, but will not agree to give her Focalin. I feel the other medication hasn't been administered correctly by her at her house and I don't feel the side effects are worth changing her to this medication. By the way, she is doing well enough in school to make the honor roll, so the Attend has been working. Since we have joint legal custody, I have say in what medications my daughter takes. I am in Missouri and according to our parenting plan we are to seek mediation when we can't come to an agreement. What can I do about this issue? Do I have to take her to court to solve this issue?

Second, I have changed religions in the past year. My ex is a member of the RLDS church. After leaving, I have discussed my new discoveries with my daughters. I was going to have them baptized with me at my new Baptist church. My ex freaked out and I agreed to have them wait until they fully make the decision on their own. My youngest daughter came to me this weekend and told me she wants to be baptized and doesn't care if her her mother disagrees. She then told me she was worried her mother would freak out on her. I told her it was her decision and I would stand by her. She then told me she was afraid her mother would hit her. I discussed it with her some more and she asked what if her mother killed her. I was shocked and didn't know what to think. I asked her if her mother had ever threaten to kill her before and she told me no. I am so surprised that she could even think this about her mother. I am wondering what she has seen or been through that would cause this type of thought. I feel I need to sit down with her mother and let her know. I hope that it will be a good outcome with her mother realizing her anger has put her daughters in fear of her. If it doesn't and she responds negatively, I am unsure how to handle the situation. Should I get a restraining order and temporary custody order? Am I freaking out too much over this situation? There is a long history of strange behavior from the mother so I don't know if it is enough to consider her unfit.

I just really need some validation that my concerns are real and I should proceed and speak with a local lawyer. Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!

1. Mixing Med's without specific doctors prescription to do so is very dangerous.

2. Fear of being hit probably means that it has happened in the past.

3. Finding Salvation is a beautiful thing.

4. Speaking with a GOOD attorney is ALWAYS a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back