Security Deposit Landlord didn't return my deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimkim123

I rented an apartment and paid two months security deposit in New York. After lived there for 5 years, the landlord refuse to return my deposit back. He didn't answer my phone call at all. I tried to send him letter through certified mail, but he also refuse to get it. Because he put down a P.O. Box as the business address, and I am not able to suit him on the small claim court. The wrose part was I paid him 3 months as his request for 2 months deposit and 1 month rent, he wrote me the receipt; but he only put down one month security on the lease, and wrote 1 month security, 1 month real estate fee, 1 month rent on the back of the receipt. I was a new immigrant with a small baby, English is my second language, and I was rush to find an apartment, I signed the lease without notice the tricks. Do I still have a chance to get my money back? Please help.

He can refuse. If he does, you'll have to sue him. Poor English skills won't help, so forget how it happened.

Even if you prevail in small claims, you don't get your deposit, just a judgment. Then you have to try and collect on the judgment. It won't be easy, and many times you never see one dollar of your judgment.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for your reply. It is not only about money. I am not the only victim in that building and I feel it is just not right.
I still have some questions.
Can voice record used as an evidence to present to judge?
Because I was concern that he won't return my deposit back. And he admitted to return my deposit when I returned the keys.
I also wants to know he used P.O. Box as his address on the lease, is that a fraud? I tried to send him the letter to ask the deposit back, he refused to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back