Landlord cause tenant to lose job

J

Jonnell08

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I work from home due to anxiety issues. My apartment complex is under new management and are doing renovations. What do I do if the renovations cause me to lose my job because of the interruptions. The landlord also has open units that are finished with renovations but I would have to break my current lease and reapply and go through background check again and deposits and such. But I do not have the money to go through any of that. I have already missed time this year from work because of this.

Why would you have to pay the deposit again? They should transfer the existing deposit to the new unit, unless there is damage to your current unit that they will be rightfully deducting from.

The owner of the property has the right to make repairs/renovations to their property as long as they act within the confines of your lease and your state's laws, give proper notice and don't make the place uninhabitable. It isn't any of their concern if that impacts your work at home job.

I would investigate moving to another unit further or see if they can finish the repairs to the room you work in on your days off.

It would help if you answered the following questions:

What kind of work do you do from home?

What kind of renovations are going to be done to your apartment? Be specific and list them.

When is your apartment scheduled to be renovated? Give an exact date.

Have you been notified in writing of the dates when renovation will be started?

What is the exact expiration date of your current lease?

And lastly:

I have already missed time this year from work because of this.

What is the "this" in that sentence and why did you miss time from work if your apartment hasn't actually been renovated yet?

While you are working on answering those questions, please study the VA landlord tenant statute:

Code of Virginia Code - Chapter 13.2. Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

As there may be something we can discuss about that later.

Back