land owner liability for renters dog?

jawnn

Jurisdiction
Washington
I was leaving a friends house on my bicycle and the renter's dog came out to bark their brains out and one little bitch ran circles around me until I bumped into it and crashed, damaging my wrists and a left knee.

This happened months before and I was able to slam on my brakes and crashed the same way at the same place.

I am not planning to sue but my landlord told me that some one got sued from their dog startling her causing her to fall down.

I just want my friends that own the land to know how libel they are for the renters dogs. So they will have to guy fence in the dangerous dogs.

So what can I tell them?

You can tell them anything you like. A landlord would not generally have liability for damages caused by a tenant's dog because the landlord would not generally have any duty to third persons.

One thing to add to Z's comment.

When a property owner has knowledge of the tenant's dangerous dog and fails to take appropriate action, the property owner could be vicariously liable for future damage or injury caused by the dog.

Of course, the property owners could, at some point, be absolved of any liability but would have occurred the expense of litigation defense or the consequences from his insurance company.

I was leaving a friends house on my bicycle and the renter's dog came out to bark their brains out and one little bitch ran circles around me until I bumped into it and crashed, damaging my wrists and a left knee.

This happened months before and I was able to slam on my brakes and crashed the same way at the same place.

The next time you visit your friend on you bike, you may want to consider walking your bike a few hundred feet away from the house before you start to ride.

You know the danger is present and you need to mitigate any harm to yourself. Otherwise, you are causing your own damages.

Back