Laid Off at 65. Is this Age Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellep

My father was just laid off from his job of 35 years, because the company he worked for decided to close this particular location. There is another branch, about an hour away, and everyone else that was laid off was offered a job at this other location, except my father who is 65 and one other person who is 63. Would this constitute age discrimination?

A little background: Previous to this happening, a year ago, the boss had come to my dad and complained about the high cost the company was paying for health insurance because my dad had some health issues.

They want him to sign a disclosure that specifically states he will not sue for age discrimination. Also after 35 years of service they offered him a 6 week severence package, is this unfair?

Please advise on if he has any recourse. Thank You.

Absent any information other than what you have provided, it does sound as if age discrimination may have occurred. Your father should seek a consultation with an experienced employment law attorney immediately. He should not sign a release until he finds out whether he may have any viable claims.

As to whether the severance offer is fair, who knows? He should not accept or reject it without the advice of counsel as described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back