Joint Physical/Legal Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph_Lacy

Hello, I have a 2 year old daughter. The mother and I split up before the child was born. I have paid my child support and I have an active role in my child's life. I have had visitation time since she was three months old. It has gradually increased to every other weekend and every other Wed. I am married and I have an eight month old son. I can provide a stable living environment for my daughter and I want joint physical/legal custody. The mother is single but engaged. What do I need to do to prove to the court that I deserve an equal part in my daughter's life? Why does the mother deserve sole custody we have never been married and we made this child together. Neither party can afford a lawyer but we are going through a mediator. PLEASE HELP.

Q: What do I need to do to prove to the court that I deserve an equal part in my daughter's life?

A: Go to court and prove all the stuff you put in your post.

You are probably going to have to prove a change of circumstance in order to get joint custody. It is up to you if you want to pursue this. You should have requested and fought for it the first time.

Generally it is not very common to have 50/50 parenting time with a child that young.

You can speak to an attorney to see whether or not it is worth it for you to pursue. Just because mom has custody does not mean you have no no rights. If she tries to move out of the area with the child you can still fight her on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back