Job won't pay me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootoolz

My jurisdiction is: contract labor, employee, hourly wages

:cussing:Texas - I work for a small limo company owned by the principals of a small oil company. I started as a fill-in driver, but by Nov. 6th, became the primary driver of the Hummer, which is when I began keeping my own records, as I didn't punch a time-clock.
Initially, I was told that I was "contract labor", although I've never seen, nor signed ay type of contract.
I began to have trouble getting paid. The manager "forgot" to leave a check for me, the check is in the mail, etc. The manager finally told me that there wasn't enough money in the limo company's account. I stayed awfully busy for the company to be broke.
There is no dispute over hours or amount I am owed.
I finally went to one of the owners when I got a check for less than half of what I was owed. He said he'd look into it. A couple of weeks went by.
I showed up Jan. 9th to pick up a check. The mgr. had left early & there was no check, even though she knew that I was coming. Spoke to the owner, again. He told me to come back Monday and he'd take care of me.
I showed up Monday after two attempts to reach owner's cell. I left msgs. both times. After I'd waited 2 1/2 hours, I discover that the owner snuck out without even speaking to me. I was so embarassed, as all of the employees for the oil company knew that I was trying to get paid and waiting for the owner to resolve it.
I've had a belly-full of their stonewalling. By my records, they owe me $1255.59, but it may be more as I didn't keep my own records prior to Nov. 6th and I am owed tips that customers put on their credit cards.
How do I get my money? Am I an employee, or "contract labor"? Can a company tell an employee that they're contract labor just to duck their tax responsibilities. Is that legal??:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back