Is This Harassment Or Workplace Bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csdbmmp

I started working seven (7) years ago at this place. We are all employees at will and have been told this by each and every boss. I was hired by Sam. My harassment or being singled out started shortly after my hiring. Sam had worked there approximately thirteen years at that point. My original boss has since been replaced. Over the years she has gone to the boss and told stories regarding something that happened but would leave out her involvement or her starting the situation. She always made herself become the victim and me the bad guy. We have since had two subsequent bosses and she has pulled the same type of action with both of them.

She and a co-worker changed my personal time requested to a different type of benefit time (actually changing it from one year to another year). I confronted both of them on this and Sam took no responsibility for it, although she deferred the situation to the co-worker and had her take the blame. I understood the reasoning for it but it is my understanding that no one can change the use of one's benefit time without their knowledge.

She is actually the boss's "right hand man" or as some say "personal assistant". When the boss tells her to let everyone ".....", she tells two co-wokers and then she tells a third privately (away from me), and says nothing to me. There have been times when answering the phone I gave out the wrong information because I was not informed of the correct information, she went to all the agents and made an ass out of me. This happens all the time. I have complained to the boss and after several times he said in exasperation "just ask me and I'll let you know". This is not a solution because most of the time he's not there and I didn't know that she told everyone something until after I heard the rumors of what she said.

Recently she has made it a passion to investigate my reasons for leaving the office during work time. According to the boss, we should instruct him and the book keeper as to our appointments, etc. I have had two doctor's appointments in the month of January. I did not tell Sam about either one of them. I made out a form for the doctor as to my condition. It was on my desk in an envelope with the doctor's return address on it. After returning from the appointment she asked me "How did you make out at the doctor's with your .......?" Everyone knew that my ... was bothering me because of the situation. However, I never mentioned my ...... to anyone. It was in the report in the envelope for the doctor. How did she find out? I asked several people as to why I went to the doctors and the response by all was "your ...". The next appointment, I again did not tell Sam. As I was leaving the office she said "Going somewhere?" I said "Yup". She said "Are you coming back?", I said "Yup." And I continued walking out the door. While I was gone she questioned co-workers as to where did I go, what did I have done, was it an MRI?, etc. When I came back I told the boss and a few co-workers that I would be out for some time because I was having surgery. I intentionally waited until late afternoon to tell Sam. I went in her office and said "I am going to have surgery on my ........ and will be out approximately two to three months." She said "I know". I asked her how she knew and she said "the girls". I know who told her and it was only one person. In my estimation Sam had no right to question anyone on my where abouts. I also think it was wrong of her to investigate my medical condition. It is a private matter and according to HIPPA, she doesn't have the right to pry information out of anyone for her own satisfaction.

Sam has taken credit for my work, ideas, etc. I have gone to the boss and told him that I actually worked on that for two hours with her and he had no knowledge of that. He was under the impression that Jackie completed the project herself. This is a continual problem and I feel like a baby or a loser constantly complaining about her.

When I return to work, I plan on talking to her about her indiscretions and her stories regarding me. In one of my recent conversations with the boss he said I should talk to her and I said retaliation is too great with her. If she treats me like this now, what would she treat me like if I confronted her on her treatment, her lies, her indiscretions, etc. I would like to tell her that some of things she does is against the law and that I will do whatever I can to protect myself because help is only a phone call away. I don't want to do this but each boss has not helped me in stopping her egresses against me. Please know that she is not the office manager or boss of anyone. She tries to find out as much peronsal information on anyone in the office that she can.

There are many more situations that Sam has been involved in but they are too many to list. It is a continual problem with her. I stay away from her as much as I can. However, our jobs do overlap and I do have contact with her.

Please let me know how to handle the office bully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back