Is the cost provision in contracts a "blank check" and what are alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvoltin

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Georgia - Had an accident where things are generally straightforward but still need a lawyer to help with the process. I was proposed a contract that seems essentially unbalanced and unfair. Please advise if there is a better way to structure this type contract. Two parts of the contract are listed below (abridged). One is for fees and owe is for costs.

Let's for the sake of this question, the Fees section is acceptable. I am struggling with the costs section. The lawyer told me "we may have to pay several hundred to transcriber, $500-$700 to a videographer, etc.". This seems like a blank check where nobody has a duty to use funds in judicious manner. Here is an example of scenario I am afraid of:

Law firm figures there is $300,000 recovery virtually guaranteed. They get $100,000 but there is $200,000 they can spend on costs. They hire their cousin Vinny as a videographer (as opposed to putting iphone on tripod) at a high (but arguably reasonable) cost. Even if no additional witnesses are needed, they may take more depositions that would drive the cost up, etc. At the end, most of the remaining $200,000 can be expensed but it would be difficult to argue/prove what was really necessary, etc. They may have a friend who is an expert in accident reconstruction and they may hire him/her even though an accident reconstructions wasn't really needed and wouldn't change the outcome of the settlement. There is nobody in charge of spending money who has duty to minimize unnecessary costs and protect the remaining recovery amount.

I understand many victims may sign this contract because there is an imbalance of power (attorneys can paint grim picture and have more info) but no business would enter in this type of "open ended" contract, ever. Is there a better way to do this? The lawyer asked me to propose an alternative.

Fees: "As compensation for their services, I agree to pay the Firm (33%) of the gross recovery on behalf of the undersigned. Recovery is defined as an offer of settlement, verdict, or judgment. lf it is necessary to file suit, compensation for the Firm shall be 40% of the gross recovery. lf post- trial motions are filed, or if the case proceeds to appeal, compensation for the Firm shall increase to (45%) of the gross recovery.

Costs: "I understand that the firm may advance case expense costs, which will be reimbursed from any recovery' case expense costs may include, but are not limited to, obtaining medical records and bills, investigative fees, service of process fees, witness fees, deposition costs, transcript costs, medical narratives, and expert may witness fees' Please note that certain case expense costs for copying, printing, postage, and file supplies be charged at the conclusion of the case at a reasonable estimated amount. Upon request, the firm will provide an itemized list of expenses to the undersigned. The parties agree that the firm will be fully reimbursed for all case expense costs at the time of recovery, in addition to the attorney fee. NO RECOVERY, NO FEE".

Georgia - Had an accident where things are generally straightforward but still need a lawyer to help with the process.
Your automobile Insurer will normally provide an attorney to represent you and to protect the insurer's interests.

I suggest you discuss the matter with your insurer's customer service agents, the claims adjuster, and/or your insurance agent.

Your automobile Insurer will normally provide an attorney to represent you and to protect the insurer's interests.

I suggest you discuss the matter with your insurer's customer service agents, the claims adjuster, and/or your insurance agent.
He's referring to a lawyer's contingency agreement for a liability claim against the other driver.

Yes, that's implicit in his missive.
Yes, sorry, this is exactly the question. To be clear, it's not against an auto insurance but another establishment that provided alcohol to a minor (knowingly), allowed consume it on premises, and leave to drive (that resulted in the accident). So, without going into more details about the case, my question is about a way to structure a contract with a lawyer that would be fair.

Let me try to be clearer with my question:

There is no implication that lawyers are evil or out there to get money, but it's a simple fact that if there is a money with no clear judiciary duty to protect it, it will be spent - just a human nature. So, if a policy amount is $300k and lawyer has 99% confidence that he/she is going to win the case, that means that they are likely going to get $100k. So, at this point, there is no incentive to be judicious with the remaining $200k and they may spend another $100k on various costs that may drive likelihood of winning the case to 99.5%. They still get $100k and they just increased chances of winning a case by 0.5%. So, the expense can arguably be justified, even though it reduced potential payment to a victim by 50%.

This is just a hyperbole to illustrate what I am trying to ask. The contract I posted above essentially is a blank check for incurring costs (One would rationalize potential cost very differently depending on whether it did or didn't affect their own profit - again, just a human nature).

I don't think any business would enter in that type of contract. So, I am asking if there are different models/ways to structure a contingency contract with a lawyer?

P.S. I was thinking of asking the lawyer what his average, maximum, and minimum costs were for the last 10 cases with similar contracts and then coming up with a model to build it into the contract as a fixed cost, or something like that. But, perhaps folks with more experience and expertise in this area can give a better advice. Thank you.

So, without going into more details about the case, my question is about a way to structure a contract with a lawyer that would be fair.
If you don't think the contract is fair, don't engage the attorney's services.

You will be as successful in causing any attorney to alter his/her contractual terms as you'd be in convincing IBM, AT&T, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Verizon, Spectrum, General Electric, or any other large conglomerate in altering the terms of their contracts.

Successful professionals don't rely on any potential client as their "golden egg laying goose".

But, perhaps folks with more experience and expertise in this area can give a better advice. Thank you.

You're having a parallel discussion over at freeadvice.com. You're doing the same thing here that you are doing there: repeating the same points after each response.

We're not going to be able to cure your distrust of attorneys.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back