Is it illegal to suspend someone without clear reason or for talking?

D

DatGuy123

Jurisdiction
Texas
Good day,today i had an incident at work and was wondering what where your thoughts and do i have a case? The story goes like this, i go into work and as soon as i get there my manager(lindsey) says they want to talk to me upstairs(First time this has ever happened) and so i go upstairs and they sit me down to tell me im being suspended for talking to co workers about drugs. I asked them who said it and what did i say exactly. all they said was employees(no names just generic answer) told us and you where talking about drugs, when i asked what did i say all they said is that i was talking about drugs. They let me make a statement i put i was talking about psychedelics and how they could help people with addictions and how they helped me in the past. later when i asked for my statement eric(deparment manager) said i could not have it because it was Heb property. This case just seems like it was planned to get rid of me because they gave me very vague answers and gave me no names to who said what. not only that but they said in the book they have a strict law about drugs but did not show me anything all they said was a vague reason why they suspended me(will most likely get fired) and a 2 page paper to write a statement on the indecent. I honestly don't even know what i did, it was not a work related issue it was just because i talked so i was wondering what where your thoughts on this and thank you for taking the time to read this and reply, Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.

i put i was talking about psychedelics and how they could help people with addictions and how they helped me in the past.

Then you admitted you were "talking about drugs" to other employees. You admitted that you used psychedelic (illegal) drugs in the past.

I honestly don't even know what i did,

I really hate to say this but you have to have been living under a rock not to know that drugs are bad, talking about drugs are bad, talking about drugs at work is bad, admitting you used illegal drugs is bad, encouraging others to use illegal drugs is bad. And all of the above can get you fired.

Sorry, but nothing wrong or illegal was done to you and I hope you still have a job when you go back to work after the holiday.

If you have been suspended without pay or get fired, immediately file for unemployment and hope you don't get denied due to misconduct.

If you are fired you may have a case for unemployment. But if you mean, does either your suspension or a potential firing give you a valid cause of legal action or lawsuit, no, neither does. Your suspension was not illegal; if you are fired that won't be illegal either. Depending on facts unavailable to us it may or may not be unfair, but even unfair is in the eye of the beholder and will not give you a valid lawsuit.

Sorry but based on what you posted, I don't see anything illegal done by your employer. If you are fired, file for unemployment ins. (the state will decide if you qualify) & look for other employment.

Back