international custody issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacesouther

my soon to be ex will be taking our three year old with her back to germany. we have agreed on joint custody, but are unsure as to how we should deal with the actual care of the child, how much time she will spend there and here. does anybody know anything about this issue and how to best address it, especially when drafting up the separation agreement?

thanks

Be very careful here. I have a nephew whose now ex-wife took their then-2-year-old supposedly to visit her parents in Germany for Christmas. She never came back and he hasn't seen his son in over ten years. The German government, courts, or whatever wouldn't help him. Germany declared jurisdiction and refused to co-operate with American government/courts.

I agree, you really need to talk to an attorney. Allowing the mother to move the child to Germany means you may not see your child again. What if mom does not comply with your agreement? I would not allow her to move. Were you married to her? Has paternity been established? Does the child have a passport? Who is going to pay for the transportation of the child? Allowing her to move that far away is a BAD idea. Please think about this and talk to an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back