Incorrect Plate on Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wdaniels73

I received a stop sign violation and the officer placed the wrong state on my ticket. The car I was driving had SC plates and he put VA plates.

Also I stopped at the stop sign (Officer admitted) Passenger present to confirm this. However When I looked there was no on comming traffic I allowed the Office across the street to proceede and then I looked again saw nothing comming Slowly pulled out and a van comes around the corner blows the horn and we i get out of the way to avoid a accident. I was given a ticket for failre to stop.

There was lots of construction in the area and not clear visiblity due to cars parked illegally for the contruction people. The office told me just to pay the ticket.

Can I fight this?

If there is in fact a lot of construction in the area and vehicles parked on the roadway as to block the line of sight of on-coming traffic to you then do the easy thing and take pictures.

If the construction is still going on go back to the intersection and take pictures of the vehicles. Try to take a picture from YOUR view in the drivers seat. Park you vehicle and safely take pictures of the vehicles illegally parked. This will help make a judge understand your point of view and how you possibly could not have seen on coming traffic. Remember the judge was not there and you have to paint the picture in his head to put him in the same situtation.

If you are unable to get pictures with the vehicles there because construction was finished or whatever reason then draw and nice (put time into it) diagram of the intersection. Include drawings of where vehicles where illegally parked and how they would obstruct your line of sight.

Explain calmly to the judge how the situation took place. Include all the information you stated here. You may win, you may lose but the more effort you put into to explain why you did not see the van after stopping will look better in the judges eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back