Income tax claim for our daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

apr4

My daughters father and I have not been together in years and I have full physical custody and he is current on his child support (for the first time). He keeps harassing me about letting him claim our daughter on his income tax every other year. My husband has a daughter to a previous relationship and he has never claimed his daughter nor has he asked to claim her on his income tax (his daughter resides with her mother).

The situation is this, I have a car from when my X and I were together. When we split he got the car that was paid off and I got the car we still owed a year and a half of payments on ($450.00 a month). I signed the other car over to him and he signed a notarized paper stating that he was giving up any ownership to my vehicle and I would take over all the responsibility of the loan and insurance. I have since paid off the car (it has been a few years)and he refuses to sign the title over to me, therefore I cannot sell, trade or give the car away. I am going to pursue small claims court.

Today, I thought i would give one last attempt at doing it the easy way and i asked him to meet me to sign over the car. His response was to use it as a bargaining chip to get me to agree to let him claim our daughter on his taxes every other year. Is this something other parents do? Am I obligated to let him claim her every other year because he pays child support even though I have full physical custody? Can he take me to court for half of the income tax? I do not want to be unlawful or unfair even though he has been over the years. I told him I could not say yes or no right now... he refused to sign over the car of course. Please any advice would be great...Thank you!

Last edited:
He does not have the right to claim the child unless the courts gives it to him. Since there is no decree that covers this if you give him permission to claim, the IRS is going to send you a form you must sign, or he needs to fax in the court order which gives him the right to claim. He can take you to court over it. It really all depends on who supports the child more financially. NCP's often get to claim but it all depends on the court order. If it is not covered then you get to claim. You are not obligated to allow him to claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back