Impact in US of Foreign Liabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfacts

I am a britsh Citizen, although I live and am a permanent resident in the US (and have been for some years). I was divorced in the UK in 2000 and had a crappy maintenance order that ate 95% of my net income. I have since been back to court in the UK and had this amended to a slightly more manageable amount but for various reasons, my ex was awarded that I pay her legal costs (actually she paid nothing but the award of costs allows her legal firm to get costs from me). This is very frustrating since I actually won some of the maintenance arguments and got a 70% reduction in payments - but that is not what I am arguing.

Her lawyers are now trying to crystallize a liability for her legal costs in the amount of about 25,000 GBP (50,000 USD). I am going through the UK motions to dispute this bill, and will almost certainly come to some level of discount but I am sure there will be some award and it will be significant (to me).

I have no presence in the UK, although I am still a UK citizen. What recourse does this UK form of lawyers (solicitors) have against me here in the US ?. I am for instance considering applying fro US citizenship since at the moment I am here on a green card, and will this change my exposure / status.

This is not legal Advice!

Your quote: "I am for instance considering applying fro US citizenship since at the moment I am here on a green card, and will this change my exposure / status".

Answer:
proberly not, due to the fact you are in dispute over the amount you have to pay, so in other words. You are not refusing to resolve this matter in general you are just in dispute over the amount you are being charged for. This is not a criminal matter, it is a civil matter.

Good luck and just remember you are a subject in the UK as we have no citizens. Me personally think we are subjects of being had over in general.

Take care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back