Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Immigration consequenses for 1st time shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

free2012

Hi,
I am 26 and very first time offender (shoplifting of less than 500$ clothing in ohio . I went to court for the 1st time and the judge asked me if i have a lawyer, since I couldn't afford one, they assigned me a public defender. I have to apear in court Nov 30th. I am a greencard holder (expires in 10 years). I never ever did anything wrong in my whole life. Lately I've been going through depression (eating desorders and panic attacks) when I shoplifted i was so depressed of the fact that i just moved to this new state and city (my husband got a student position here) and me I couldn't get a job, i am not used to not have a good job where i am paid very good, since i came to the us (3 years) i've been working very hard and have been rewarded very well, so i am used to have enough money to shop for my nephew. (Store name removed) is one of my favorite shops, i use to shop there for at leats 150$ when I go only children clothes (since i have only one nephew, i want to take really good care of him), I am his Godmother and I always got him the best things with my own money. All my life i worked hard either in school or at work, but lately i've been under so much strees and pressure that i have to admit put to myself. I am a perfectionist and i tend to be hard with myself. What i did was by far the stupidiest thing i did in my whole life and now i find myself in a very very complicated situation: I risk deportation from the US. What is going to happen? I am married (my husband is american, he was with me, and he felt so bad for me in the store, i was crying and saying to him that i use to come to this store and buy all this with my own money and i can't even do it now, everybody probably think i'm a looser especially my family, so he took the clothes and put some in his bag, so he got caught too). I am going through a therapy because after getting caught, i couldn't go out anymore, i couldn't stand crawds and going to stores, can't sleep, i have terrible nightmares, my life is just hell now. The therapist is helping a little but I can't help but being anxious because of my immiration status.
My public defender said since it's your first offense you will probably get in the diversion program, which will help but i've been reading that in the eyes of the immigration services it will still be considered a conviction and a crime of moral turpitude. What can I do then??? I don't want to be deported, i will never ever accept to be separated from my husband. We love each other so much. I can't afford an immigration lawyer. I want to know if it's doable and possible to ask my public defender to convince the merchant to drop the charges, if i can pay anything or do anything I will, i just don't want to be convicted in the eyes of the immigration services. Please help me with all you know about shoplifting for an immigrant. I need all the help possible, all the advices. I have 3 more weeks to find a solution.
Thank you so so much for all your help

Also I meant to add: I am not a resident in this state (I moved here 2 months ago). Does this change anything or not. Will the State Law take this in consideration or not at all.

Re: Immigrantion consequenses for 1st time shoplifting

The store name was removed from your post for your protection. Diversion is your best optin and many immigrants go this route and protect their status here. However if you want to be sure start calling Lawyers. Many offer free consultations get as many as you can. They can verify whether or not immigration will use diversion as conviction and possibly take action. We might also consult an immigration lawyer as well

Thank you so much for your answer and for possibly calling laywers to find out. Thanks you so very much.
I will definitely start calling Monday. Does it matter that I am not a resident of this state but of another state.
Is it true that I will have to wait 5 years to apply for cityzenship. Apparently, after 5 years, normally it shouldn't matter that I went through a diversion program.
Thanks for all your support.

Your not being resident of that state will not matter. Far as your immigration questions they are outside our expertise here

Hi Shrinkmaster,

My attorney told me that diversion program is only for age 17 to 21. Is that correct?

Your Attorney will know your local laws better than I. If you are concerned about his advice consult another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back