I'm legally 18 and I need to know that if I can switch schools without parental consent.

Abby Stepp

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I have never felt safe in my school due to the past events that have occurred there along with me being bullied for years on end in that school district. My mother doesn't want me to due to it being a "good" school but it has been effecting my work ethic and my participation and willingness to learn in school.
Even though this is my senior year I still have not been able to concentrate on my studies and I have fallen behind significantly due to the multiple incidents that have conspired in my school. I was hoping that I would be able to get insight on here and know what I can do before I lose all hope and give up on my education.

I have never felt safe in my school due to the past events that have occurred there along with me being bullied for years on end in that school district. My mother doesn't want me to due to it being a "good" school but it has been effecting my work ethic and my participation and willingness to learn in school.
Even though this is my senior year I still have not been able to concentrate on my studies and I have fallen behind significantly due to the multiple incidents that have conspired in my school. I was hoping that I would be able to get insight on here and know what I can do before I lose all hope and give up on my education.
You should discuss this with the administration at your school and/or school district. They will be able to provide better information than we (random internet strangers) can. Best of luck to you!

I suggest you talk to the school counselor. You have to learn how to deal with adversity rather than running away from it.

Not only may you find similar issues in another school (you can't run away from yourself) but you may find yourself so far behind in catching up at another school that it delays your graduation.

I suggest you talk to the school counselor. You have to learn how to deal with adversity rather than running away from it.

Not only may you find similar issues in another school (you can't run away from yourself) but you may find yourself so far behind in catching up at another school that it delays your graduation.
I have already done that multiple times. I have even gone as far as to request documentation of the reports that I have made of the multiple incidents that I have reported. They never documented them since the incidents were not of importance in their eyes. I have even been assaulted by other students and that is when they had stepped in and done something. It only took acts of violence for them to do something.

was hoping that I would be able to get insight on here and know what I can do before I lose all hope and give up on my education.

You are an adult by virtue of your age, which you revealed to be 18.

What you decide to do is entirely up to you.

Your parental units owe you no legal duties.

You're legally an adult, high school diploma or not.

You are free to vacate the home your parents provide to you free of charge and emulate one of the three little pigs in the fairy tale of the same name, "The Three Little Pigs".

The Three Little Pigs
One final caveat, if I may.

If you emulate the little piggies, be forewarned, there are REAL, LIVING wolves operating in the real world.

Watch your ham hocks, tender, young, little piggy!

53563122-3174055487.jpg

wp8835865-678047050.jpg

I have already done that multiple times. I have even gone as far as to request documentation of the reports that I have made of the multiple incidents that I have reported. They never documented them since the incidents were not of importance in their eyes. I have even been assaulted by other students and that is when they had stepped in and done something. It only took acts of violence for them to do something.

You have to stop thinking about and reacting about the bullying. You made it to your senior year. Look inward to know your strengths and ignore what other people do. Concentrate on your studies and graduate and live a prosperous life forward. Time passes rapidly.

You have to stop thinking about and reacting about the bullying. You made it to your senior year. Look inward to know your strengths and ignore what other people do. Concentrate on your studies and graduate and live a prosperous life forward. Time passes rapidly.

Easy to say, but I'm pretty sure OP has heard such advice already.

I transferred out of junior high school because of bullying. The worst bully was from a powerful local family. He did not follow me to my new school. The physical attacks ranged from minor (hitting) to potentially life threatening (attempting to shove me over a railing in a 4 story building).

One of my classmates senior year was a victim of a bullying incident at her previous school: she was assaulted at her locker regained consciousness 3 days later.

We don't know if OP's concerns are serious or just hyperbole.

Their *legal* question is, can they transfer schools without parental permission, now that they're a *legal* adult.

1) As a *legal* adult you can do such things, but it can come with a cost. Like, maybe you'll have to take on other adult roles, like putting a roof over your own head.

2) Logistically, transferring halfway through your senior year may be difficult. The time to shine academically was junior year, most people have submitted the bulk of their college applications by now.

Sit down with your school's guidance counselor and just figure out a pathway to spring graduation, if possible.

That's easier said then done when one has no escape from it...and you act like bullying stops once people reach adulthood. It honestly seems like adults are the worst bullies in our society.

Back