Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Identity theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham7137

Long story short. I live in new york. After some rough times I made some poor choices and opened up 3 credit cards in a friends name. I had the intention of paying them all off and forgetting it ever happened. I ended up confessing to him and he reported them as fraud to the companies. He sent an ID theft affidavit. Anyway, the state police are now investigating. He doesn't want any charges pressed. I helped him out of some tough times before and he knows I wasn't trying to be malicous. However, the police wanted me to talk to them on my own, but an attorney told me not to speak to them. Is there any other way to resolve this since he doesn't want to press charges? can the police press charges anyway? I have a clean record and just got caught up in a mess. I do want to pay everything back, I'd just like to do it without being charged and everything. Should I talk to the police or listen to the lawyer?

He either must press charges (I certainly would) or he must start paying the cards or his credit is trashed. He cannot wait a month or 2 then complain to the credit card companies that it was unauthorized use of the card. If he deos not press charges then it simply is not fraud and he will be expected to pay the bills. I suggest you stat working to get these paid off, if charges wind up being dropped.

I offered to pay them off and he is ok with that, but he told the companies that he didn't open the accounts and signed and affidavit to the effect. I am more than willing to make it right and have always been willing to. He never called the police. I think an invesitgator with the credit companies did.

update

The police continue to call me even though they know my lawyer told me not to speak with them. I don't return there calls. My lawyer is on vacation for a week. Basically, I have a clean record and have never gotten into any trouble. Desperate times lead to stupid actions. Anyway, I told my employer I was under investigation. Mainly because I didn't want the police to walk in while I was at work and arrest me without giving a heads up to my boss. If they are going to press charges, how can I negotiate a surrender. I'm not trying to run or hide from this. I understand it was wrong. I just don't want to make my situation any worse than it is. Any help or advice would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back