I was hit in accident: Cited for Failure to maintain lane

newmember41

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was on I-20 W when I realized I needed to merged left to avoid getting off at the wrong exit. It was a considerable amount of traffic out so i was very cautious about getting over. I slowed down a little a let a car pass on the left and then I merged over right after the passed. A moment later a car hits me in the rear drivers side.
When the Atlanta police showed up he gave me a failure to maintain lane citation. How did I get the citation when I was all the way in the lane?? I had to passengers with me who saw it as well. He never questioned them though.

Can I fight this?? I have never been in an accident before. I'm 100% sure that the accident was not my fault and should not be given a citation for something I wasn't doing! What should I do? Should I get a lawyer? What evidence can i show to prove I maintained my lane? I am not trying to blame the other party, I just know I should not be paying a citation for this. Please help! Any advice!

Thanks

You, as are we all, are free to hire a lawyer.
Will you prevail?
Probably not, as fewer than 10% of people beat traffic citations.

However, those odds are a heck of a lot better than winning a lottery.

So you advise I just pay it and move on?

I don't ever advise.
You can pay it, if you choose to pay it.
You can defend it, if you choose to defend.
You have the right to defend.
All I said was FEWER than 10% of people all across this country succeed in defending a traffic ticket.
Why?
Traffic court is racket.
Traffic court doesn't make you or me a safer driver.
If I get a ticket, it makes my wallet lighter.

If I recommend anything, I suggest every person holding a traffic citation to investigate if they can take traffic school or request deferred adjudication.

Georgia Defensive Driving & Traffic School | DMV.org

I also suggest never to break any of their laws.
They stack the deck to screw you, when you break their laws.
How so?
You can fight it ONLY in their court and their judge runs their court.

Don't break their laws and let the steal more of your money.

In your case, if I couldn't make a safe lane change, I'd miss the exit and exit at the next exit safely.

I don't want the evil, greedy, scum suckers stealing my money, so I take extra care to always OBEY all of their laws.

You can run it by a traffic law attorney - generally they can get you the best outcome possible. Of course, you can just pay it or contest it on your own.

A moment later a car hits me in the rear drivers side.

I'll reserve my comments until you reveal EXACTLY what part of the other driver's car hit EXACTLY what part of your car.

Use words like "The right corner of her front bumper hit the left corner of my rear bumper" or "The center of her front bumper hit the center of my rear bumper." Use measurements to indicate the location of point of impact if that helps.

Back