I want to sign over my rights...how do i do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisamarie1974

I am the mother of two children. Their father has custody of them because I had no where to live when he filed. The reasons are complicated. But I need to know how do I go about signing over my rights? I do not have an income, I am disabled. Can I do this without an attorney? Someone please help me. :(

what makes you think you can do this?

You just cannot abandon your children.

If your ex husband is re-married and the step mother is willing to adopt then maybe you can do it but you must go through an attorney.

Why are you wanting to do this? Just because he has custody and you are disabled does not mean you do not have to have any responsibility for them.

So you just cannot do this. You are entitled to see the children, if you have little income then legal aid should be able to help you. :confused:

There are circumstances here that you obviously do not know about. I did not come here to be criticized. I love my children and basically was the only one that raised them. Do not judge unless you know the reasons behind it. I guess I was wrong to come here. I came here to get answers.

This is not about judging, it is about the legal responsibility to your kids. I don't care what the whole story is, you cannot sign off your parental rights. If you have issues then you should see an attorney. You are abandoning your kids if you want to sign off your parental rights, it does not matter what your excuse it. Luckily the courts do not allow you to do that unless there is a step parent adoption.
Do not expect sympathy on this on any board you go to seeking legal advise. Nobody will support you in your decision.

You just cannot sign away your rights. If you do not want to see your kids, then you do not have to. Visitation is an option, you do not have to use it, and if you want to sign off your rights to avoid paying suport, then shame on you. :( and you cannot do that either.

If you think that being involved in their lives is causing problems, then don't visit.

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged! Obviously This Poor Soul Is Trying To Do What's Best For Her Children! Google "Free Legal Aid" And Contact An Attorney To Help You Through This Difficult Time. Good Luck And God Bless!!

I feel your pain. My husband and I are going through kinda of the same thing. I KNOW YOU ARE DOING WHAT YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR YOUR CHILDREN. Because that is why we are doing it too.

From all the legal pages and custody laws I have read, the courts will not allow you to sign over your parental rights unless there is a step-mother willing to adopt your children. They will not allow the children to not have a mother.

Good Luck and I will keep you in our prayers!

And to the lady who is being so nasty and judgemental on here......get off your high horse!! You can not tell anyone what to do. And those that judge others, are usually the ones with problems of their own and low self-esteem. Shame on you for being so heartless!! I WILL DEFINITELY BE PRAYING FOR YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back