i need some answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca2001

My twin sons real father pays child support and comes and sees them every other weekend but they need insurance and he doesn't want to pay for it. My insurance for them will run out soon and he wants my boyfriend to adopt them to provide HIS medical coverage for them. His grip is paying more money for insurance. I am thinking about doing it and my boyfriend is fine with it. But what do my laws state in PA? Will he still be required to pay child support?

:mad:

You guys cannot do this. A boyfriend cannot adopt someone else's kids.

Your ex husband has no idea what he is getting himself into. He would have to completely terminate his rights to the children and it would only be approved if in the best interest of the children, AND you and your boyfriend marry. Generally there has to be a lack of parental relationship with the kids. A stepfather will then have to adopt but generally you have to be married 1-2 years before filing for this. The bio father becomes a legal stranger to the kids and generally does not see them anymore.

If he has a relationship with the kids this is an assanine idea.

Wanting to sign over rights just to get out of paying insurance is ridiculous and probably would not be approved. One of you needs to get a job that provides insurance benefits for a reasonable cost. Once you marry your boyfriend, he then can generally add them on to his insurance without an adoption.

Don't get a family insurance through your employer. Sign them up for insurance through the insurance company. Family insurance through an employer will cost you twice as much a month as getting it on your own. Blue Cross Blue Shield has insurance around $60 a month per child. Right now we pay $291(for 1 child) a month through my husbands work group insurance because we didn't know it was cheaper going through the insurance company on our own.
He wont be able to terminate his rights to avoid paying insurance. If the children's father does pay for insurance he can also go to court and have the child support adjusted to be a smaller amount per month because he would be paying for insurance. Their father also doesn't have to provide insurance for them unless it states he has to in your divorce decree. I don't know if you are going through your work for the insurance now or how much money he pays in child support now but you would be better off keeping the child support and getting insurance not through your work plan or any one elses work plan. The father usually doesn't have to pay child support if he terminates his rights unless he owes arrearage. In some cases he will still have to pay but in most cases not. I don't know if you have Blue Cross in your area but here is the website and you can check out the prices of insurance for children. www.bcbs.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back