I just want my car!!!

• Thread Starter Aggravated Car Owner
  • Start date
A

Aggravated Car Owner

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I paid a gentleman on March 11, 2016 $850 for a new transmission for my car. He assured me that the job would be done in two weeks, tops. It is now May 22, 2016 and I still have no vehicle. Everytime I reach out to him about my car, he always makes excuses as to why the work isn't completed. I have been promised my car "by tomorrow" everyday since May 11. I also believe that I was overcharged for the part considering the fact that my car is a 1998 Toyota Camry. When I researched transmissions (which I was told would be brand new, that I later found out was USED) the highest was $620. I want to sue him for all of my money back and the fact that I have had to beg for rides and dish out gas money for cars NOT belonging to me so that my grandchild can get back and forth to school and I could get back and forth to work. What should I do?
- Aggravated Car Owner

I paid a gentleman on March 11, 2016 $850 for a new transmission for my car. He assured me that the job would be done in two weeks, tops. It is now May 22, 2016 and I still have no vehicle. Everytime I reach out to him about my car, he always makes excuses as to why the work isn't completed. I have been promised my car "by tomorrow" everyday since May 11. I also believe that I was overcharged for the part considering the fact that my car is a 1998 Toyota Camry. When I researched transmissions (which I was told would be brand new, that I later found out was USED) the highest was $620. I want to sue him for all of my money back and the fact that I have had to beg for rides and dish out gas money for cars NOT belonging to me so that my grandchild can get back and forth to school and I could get back and forth to work. What should I do?
- Aggravated Car Owner

You can sue the shyster in small claims court.
You'll probably get the $850 awarded to you.
Depending on the judge's negative experiences with crooks, you could get more.

No, it doesn't. But dealing with shade tree mechanics almost guarantees that this sort of thing will happen and the law provides precious little help.

I suggest you figure out a way to go get your car back. Hire a tow truck and have it with you in case the transmission is already out of car. You might also want to call the cops for a "civil standby." And make sure you have your ownership papers with you.

Once you have your car back and pay a reputable shop for the repairs (whatever that might cost) then you can think about suing.

But you are pretty well screwed until you get your car back and incur the cost of repairs.

If you would have taken it to a reputable car repair shop, you probably wouldn't have had to pay anything until the work was done. I never pay for any car repairs/parts until the job is completed & I go to pick up the car.

Back