I am 17 and moving out

K

kkthefr0g

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am 17 and moving out but I need the law that states that as a 17 year old, I can leave and there will be no consequences on my parents. They have agreed to let me leave as long as nothing will come back on them. I know there is a law that states that I can go as a 17 year old minor in the state of Texas. I have already graduated high school and have a secure place I can go to live at. Please help me.

I am 17 and moving out but I need the law that states that as a 17 year old, I can leave and there will be no consequences on my parents. They have agreed to let me leave as long as nothing will come back on them. I know there is a law that states that I can go as a 17 year old minor in the state of Texas. I have already graduated high school and have a secure place I can go to live at. Please help me.

There is no such law in any of the 50 states, including Texas.

There are a few exceptions, such as your parents agreeing in writing to allow you to enter the military.

Another exception would be emancipation by marriage, which again requires parental consent. However, marriage at age 17 is far worse than staying at home a few more months.

Another exception is if you committed a crime, upon your arrest and/or conviction, you'd be trading your parent's home for a county jail or state prison.

Are you seeing the pattern yet?

You will become an adult upon reaching the age of majority, 18, at which time you're free to go anywhere you wish absolving your parents of all parental liability and responsibility for you now under age carcass.

The law you're seeking is what Ponce de Leon sought, or what Don Quixote chased. It is another urban myth.

There is no such law in any of the 50 states, including Texas.

There are a few exceptions, such as your parents agreeing in writing to allow you to enter the military.

Another exception would be emancipation by marriage, which again requires parental consent. However, marriage at age 17 is far worse than staying at home a few more months.

Another exception is if you committed a crime, upon your arrest and/or conviction, you'd be trading your parent's home for a county jail or state prison.

Are you seeing the pattern yet?

You will become an adult upon reaching the age of majority, 18, at which time you're free to go anywhere you wish absolving your parents of all parental liability and responsibility for you now under age carcass.

The law you're seeking is what Ponce de Leon sought, or what Don Quixote chased. It is another urban myth.
1) You are no help at all.
2) You are incorrect. I spoke to a lawyer, and guess what? There is a law. I just need it in writing. They'll be sending it to me.
3) There is no point in you responding if you are going to be an unhelpful XXX. You are neither funny, nor clever. I needed legitimate help. What you provided was a waste of time. Check your facts next time.

1) You are no help at all.
2) You are incorrect. I spoke to a lawyer, and guess what? There is a law. I just need it in writing. They'll be sending it to me.
3) There is no point in you responding if you are going to be an unhelpful XXX. You are neither funny, nor clever. I needed legitimate help. What you provided was a waste of time. Check your facts next time.
You do realize that AJ IS an attorney/Judge in Texas, don't you?

Nice to know the OG effect works across the Interwebs.

If you have spoken to an attorney who says there is a law that you can legally leave at 17 and there can be no consequences, then you don't need us to provide you with the law because surely he has already done so.

He hasn't? Then we are left with two options;

1.) He can't show you the law because it doesn't exist
2.) You are lying about talking to an attorney

Quote OP:
2) You are incorrect. I spoke to a lawyer, and guess what? There is a law. I just need it in writing. They'll be sending it to me.[/QUOTE]

If they are sending the law to you in writing, then why aren't you just holding for it?

What more do you want us to tell you?

Back