how to report about my relative

Alison47

Jurisdiction
California
My relative from India who is a corrupt customs officer carried out the theft of more than $150,000 (in Indian Rupees) from our home in India.
My Nephew and I registered two criminal cases against him in an Indian court. The local police station created an F.I.R. on him did an investigation and submitted a charge sheet to the court. My second case is also in progress and the court ordered an investigation into him. I came to know that this relative came to the USA last February 2023 on a visiting visa with a lot of cash and handed it over to his cousin brother in San Francisco, CA. This relative is big in Money laundering and gold smuggling in India. This relative's cousin acts as a mule in converting his illegal black money.

How can I report this relative and his cousin to govt agencies so that they cancel his visitor visa or take action against his cousin?

Please let me know which agencies I can approach and how I can report about these two people. I appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
Al

How can I report this relative and his cousin to govt agencies so that they cancel his visitor visa or take action against his cousin?

There are any number of ways to report a crime.
You could visit the nearest FBI Office, US Attorney's Office, US Secret Service Office, local police or sheriff department and ask to speak with an on duty detective of agent regarding a crime, because you know the whereabouts of the two man crime wave.

The Bridgeport Police Department's Detective Bureau is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
An appointment can be scheduled by calling 203-581-5201

Crime Information
If anyone has questions regarding a crime or a current investigation, they can contact the Detective Bureau at 203-581-5201 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

If anyone has information about an ongoing crime, please contact (203) 576-TIPS (24/7 phone number)

You could also report the crimes anonymously using this process:

Screenshot_20231102-231732_Opera.png

How to file a police report or report crime anonymously
To file a police report, search online for the local law enforcement agency's contact information where the crime occurred.

Most local law enforcement agencies accept anonymous tips or crime reports online or by phone. To learn more, contact your local police department.

Electronic Tip Form | FBI

Finally, Homeland Security offers a tip reporting process:

Report crimes to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

Phone: 866-347-2423 (from the U.S., Mexico and Canada)
802-872-6199 (from any country in the world)

Tip Form: www.ICE.gov/tips

Happy hunting.

Oy Vey! My apologies.

For the OP: Please clarify if the 150,000 refers to INR or USD.

150,000 rupee is like 1800 USD, not sure I would call that a mastermind in racketeering.

The way the post was written, it could be read 2 different ways. I initially thought, as you did, that it was 150,000 Indian rupees. But reading it again that's not actually clear. It could mean that what the Indian relative brought into the US was $150,000 worth of rupees. But that alone is not a crime. Bringing in cash of with a value of US $10,000 or more does require a report to FinCEN on FinCEN form 105. FinCEN is an agency of the U.S. Treasury department. That report is all that would required to bring it into the country. The US has no cap on the amount of money someone may bring into the country. Failing to report the cash, however can result criminal penalties and forfeiture of up to the entire amount of cash that was not reported. So anyone not involved in criminal activity has a lot of incentive to file it and would suffer no downside from doing it.

What would matter most, assuming the Form 105 was submitted, is what the foreign relative did with the cash after he got here. And we don't have the specifics of that either. On the basis of what little the OP said and the uncertainty of what the Indian relative actually did, there is just no way to know if any crime was committed in this country.

One thing is curious to me, though. If the Indian relative and his cousin are involved in money laundering or other criminal activity, how does the OP know the details of all this?

There are any number of ways to report a crime.
You could visit the nearest FBI Office, US Attorney's Office, US Secret Service Office, local police or sheriff department and ask to speak with an on duty detective of agent regarding a crime, because you know the whereabouts of the two man crime wave.

The Bridgeport Police Department's Detective Bureau is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
An appointment can be scheduled by calling 203-581-5201

Crime Information
If anyone has questions regarding a crime or a current investigation, they can contact the Detective Bureau at 203-581-5201 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

If anyone has information about an ongoing crime, please contact (203) 576-TIPS (24/7 phone number)

You could also report the crimes anonymously using this process:

View attachment 4465

How to file a police report or report crime anonymously
To file a police report, search online for the local law enforcement agency's contact information where the crime occurred.

Most local law enforcement agencies accept anonymous tips or crime reports online or by phone. To learn more, contact your local police department.

Electronic Tip Form | FBI

Finally, Homeland Security offers a tip reporting process:

Report crimes to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

Phone: 866-347-2423 (from the U.S., Mexico and Canada)
802-872-6199 (from any country in the world)

Tip Form: www.ICE.gov/tips

Happy hunting.
Thanks a lot, ArmyJudge. This information is very helpful, and will leave the tip on ICE website.

The way the post was written, it could be read 2 different ways. I initially thought, as you did, that it was 150,000 Indian rupees. But reading it again that's not actually clear. It could mean that what the Indian relative brought into the US was $150,000 worth of rupees. But that alone is not a crime. Bringing in cash of with a value of US $10,000 or more does require a report to FinCEN on FinCEN form 105. FinCEN is an agency of the U.S. Treasury department. That report is all that would required to bring it into the country. The US has no cap on the amount of money someone may bring into the country. Failing to report the cash, however can result criminal penalties and forfeiture of up to the entire amount of cash that was not reported. So anyone not involved in criminal activity has a lot of incentive to file it and would suffer no downside from doing it.

What would matter most, assuming the Form 105 was submitted, is what the foreign relative did with the cash after he got here. And we don't have the specifics of that either. On the basis of what little the OP said and the uncertainty of what the Indian relative actually did, there is just no way to know if any crime was committed in this country.

One thing is curious to me, though. If the Indian relative and his cousin are involved in money laundering or other criminal activity, how does the OP know the details of all this?
Many thanks Tax Counsel!!. Those are all good questions.
1. "It could mean that what the Indian relative brought into the US was $150,000 worth of rupees. But that alone is not a crime."
Alyson: My relative has to declare in airport the amount of money he is getting in U.S. if it is more than $10,000. Because the money he is getting is not legit. It was either acquired by theft or corruption. Therefore, they might not had filed FinCEN form 105.

2. "One thing is curious to me, though. If the Indian relative and his cousin are involved in money laundering or other criminal activity, how does the OP know the details of all this?"
Alyson: My older brother visited U.S. in 2019 and he handed over a big lumsum of this illegit money from this relative to his cousin in San Francisco at that time he told me all this information. My older brother died in 2021 due to COVID. I was struggling with my kid's health problems at that time. But this time my relative committed theft in my brother's home in India.
So I thought I would report all his misdeeds to the authorities. Me and my Nephew also registered a criminal case against him in India. But unfortunately, the court system there is very slow and the hearing date is next year.
My relative acquired a lot of cash in India by taking bribes and gold smuggling. He doesn't pay taxes for this money in India.

Back