How to find Dad's Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herb

In 1999 my dad passed away. Since then my stepmother has sold the house the two had shared for about 25 years.

I have not been contacted about any reading of my dad's will. I know in my heart that he had one. I don't know where to start to see if one truly existed and if it has been executed.

My stepmother is still alive and presume there may be a clause that it doesn't get processed until both have passed away because there are children from previous marriages on both sides.

I have NO proof that anything has been wrongfully done, I just know that my dad would have even left me a letter or something. This is all just a gut feeling.

Please Advise,

Herb

have you asked your stepmother if there was a will. if there isn't a will you can take it probate court and file that he died intestate, meaning that he died without a will. you need to get your side settled now. what happens after she dies should be left up to her kids.

If you know the county that he lived/died in, you can contact the probate office and see if they have a will on record. They will ask for the deceased party's last name and then first name and then tell you whether or not they have it there. If there is one, you can get a copy of it from the office for a pretty small fee. If there is no will on record, then you can either ask the step mother about it and hope she is willing to produce it (if there was one at all) or file in probate court. Getting this done ASAP is the best thing since your claim becomes stale after a period of time.

If you know the county that he lived/died in, you can contact the probate office and see if they have a will on record. They will ask for the deceased party's last name and then first name and then tell you whether or not they have it there. If there is one, you can get a copy of it from the office for a pretty small fee. If there is no will on record, then you can either ask the step mother about it and hope she is willing to produce it (if there was one at all) or file in probate court. Getting this done ASAP is the best thing since your claim becomes stale after a period of time.

Thank you
This helped on my question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back