How to evict my mother out?

rgryt

Jurisdiction
Maryland
It's my house my father bought me after they got divorced four year ago, and I'm still a 22 years old full time student without any income. My mother is not making any money right now, my father is the one supporting me financially, and he told me to help her whenever she needs it. I never keep track but by looking in to my bank account, I have transfer her over 40,000 dollars in the past 10 month. Excluding I'm paying for every insurance and all the bills for internet/phones/etcetera.

She is losing her house from a foreclosure caused by not paying her mortgage. Now she moved in to my house with my brother, her 12-year-old son (we have different fathers, but my father supported him since the day he was born), after she screamed at me for not "welcoming" them beforehand.

I tried to pretend that I don't mind living with her, but it's getting harder to do so. We don't eat or cook together because she don't want to "cook for me". It's fine but she keeps taking my food. I calculate what I need for each meal before shopping, then after she takes them, I only get less food. I tried to talk to her but after she promise she won't takes it again, she takes it again.

We have little conflict here and there but I was still able to let them go. But now she doesn't let me sleep in peace anymore.

She was slamming the door all the time, and come in to my bedroom to use my bathroom because she doesn't want to share with her son. I really don't mind these as long as I'm not sleeping, but I never said anything to her.

Yesterday, my brother start yelling because of itchiness (yes, he was yelling because his leg was itchy) at 4 am in the morning and they were yelling so hard that I can't sleep(it's loud enough to wake me, and I was so tired and only fell asleep after 2 am for school work). I waited for about 20 minutes; it didn't seem to gonna stop at all so I went to their room to ask them to keep it down. My brother stopped but she started to scream about I'm trying to kill my brother by not letting him scream when he feels uncomfortable. She kept screaming for about 10 minutes saying I'm trying to kill them and she will call the police to take me away. Whole thing ended with me taking my brother to my room and he slept fine.

I'm really at my limit right now. I'm in my own house but my stuff keep missing, my food keep getting taken, and I can't get the sleep I need. I really need my mother to get out, but it's so hard because of my brother, I love him and he have no faults in this. Is there anything I can do to get out of this situation?

You can Google "Evictions, YOUR COUNTY, MD" for the way you must evict someone in your county.

You then tell your father, "Sorry, pops, I've given mother forty grand. I can't help her again. I wish I could, but I can't. I'm also evicting her, because she's stealing my stuff, not respecting my privacy. causing a ruckus in my home daily, her son is always disorderly, and I think mother has a very bad drug abuse problem. I love you , dad, and I do love mom. But, I can barely feed myself, less alone a grown woman with a 12 year old sociopath."

While the eviction is pending, (it'll take about six to eight weeks), grow a spine and say, "NO, mother, I can't help you any longer."

Then whatever she asks, you say, NO.

You can't avoid evicting the kid, if you evict the mother.

She's the kid's guardian and mother.

Occasionally we ALL must throw out the baby with the bath water.

Yes, its a bit of a Hobson's Choice, but you gotta go all the way to regain what is rightfully yours!

Thomas Hobson (1545–1631) ran a buggy and horse rental business in England, during the early 17th century. Hobson rented out horses, mainly to Cambridge University students, but refused to hire them out other than in the order he chose. The choice his customers were given was 'this horse or none'; Hobson's Choice if you please, not the customer's choice ONLY Hobson's choice.

The phrase was already being described as proverbial less than thirty years after Hobson's death. The Quaker scholar Samuel Fisher referred to the phrase in his religious text, The Rustick's Alarm to the Rabbies, 1660:

"If in this Case there be no other (as the Proverb is) then Hobson's choice ... which is, chuse whether you will have this or none."

You also lock up all your valuables, place them in storage, or ask a TRUSTED friend to keep them for a couple of months.

Time to stand your ground.

Ephesians 6:11: Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

Here you go, read all about evictions in YOUR state:

http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/civil/dccv082br.pdf

Maryland Evictions

Why the Maryland Eviction Process is Favorable to the Landlord: Notice

Last edited:
If your father wanted to "help" his now ex-wife, he should be paying her alimony and or child support, not asking his 22 year old son to be her personal ATM. Your school undoubtedly has a counseling center and I encourage you to use it. Many schools even offer legal assistance for students. Check with your student affairs office to see if your does. If not, check with Legal Aid or one of the law schools. All of the law schools offer clinics which can help you sort out the legal aspects at little or no cost.

Back