Hostile Work Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschon

I've been at my job for 2 years. The workplace is a very stressful hostile environment. 2 employees have quit in the past 2 months because of verbal abuse. I am asked to do assignments that I was not hired to do, yelled at,
get yelled at if I miss a day because I'm sick, etc........
It is taking a toll on me physically. I actually have been biting my fingers
for a few months. Similar to how someone bites their nails, I have nightmares,
I'm physically and mentally exhausted. I was misclassified as an independent
contractor at work. I can't quit my job, and my boss knows it. I started keeping a log in email drafts on situations that happen at work. I called
unemployment to ask if I quit this job, would I qualify for unemployment benefits. In my state, I have the burden of proof. Can I tape record my boss
screaming at work? I don't know what to do. I really don't.

Last edited:
stay strong while you can. Yes most definatly tape record your boss. Tape him every day. You need as much evidence as you can get to put an end to this terrible work environement. Unfortunatley a great amount of evidence is the only chance (and witnesses) that you will have to help put an end to this terrible madness. Just do your job the best that you can. stand your ground, and definatly keep track of everything that goes on. Not to mention tape recording hours of this abuse. all of this evedence is going to be yours and evryone else's best friend, when you go to report these people for what they are doing to others. Good luck.

Last edited:
Contact the I.R.S if you are misclassified as an independent contractor. They will straighten that out pretty quickly. That way if you do have to file for Unemployment the funds will be there, if you meet the eligibility requirements. It is difficult to collect unemployment if you quite, being classified correctly is one less hurdle to overcome.

BTW, a hostile work environment means that you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and related laws (race, religion, national origin etc.). It does not mean that the boss is unpleasant, no matter how unpleasant it is.

Check your state laws - in some states it is illegal to tape record someone without their knowledge. Additionally, since based on what you have posted your boss is not doing anything illegal, if your employer chooses to he can fire YOU for taping without permission, even if it is legal in your state.

That is true, every state is different. Yes, definetly do some research as well as, check the laws in your state. If the situation qualifies, then i would at least turn them into the Better Bussiness Bureu... if you can even do that. Tough situation. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back