Help with parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawbaeri

My ex-husband was abusive to me and threatened to be abusive to my unborn child. I filed for (and recieved) a divorce. There was no mention of the child in the divorce decree because the form asked for "children born of this marriage." (I was also pregnant before we were married.) I am currently 38 weeks pregnant, and have not seen or heard from the father. He is an abusive, unfit father and I would not like him to show up three years from now sueing for custody. How do I go about having his parental rights taken away? Any help would be grateful. Thank you!

Children born of the marriage also means a pregnancy. In most states you cannot even get a divorce while pregnant, so if you withheld this information it can come back to get you.

I assume your divorce has been final?

However, since you are no longer married to him, he has no rights and I would avoid getting any paternity established (going on government assistance, filing for child support). Unless you are remarred you probably cannot get him to terminate rights.

So at this point just hope he does not come around or serve you with paternity papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back